Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, August 16, 2012

More Motivation Talk

This comment from Me regarding my last post was very thought provoking:

Motivation is the reason why we succeed or fail at anything. My own personal opinion is that "being healthy" is not a good enough motivation to lose weight, because if we wanted to be healthy, we wouldn't have put on weight in the first place. I know that this is somewhat controversial.

As an example, ask someone why they have not tried heroin (scary addiction and potentially life damaging), bet all of their wealth on a single horse at the grand national (financial ruin and a life of explaining to people why you screwed up), or have 10 children to 10 different partners (financial burden and the understanding that maybe your children would suffer).

So you don't do those behaviors because of the bad effects. Yet we become overweight/obese until our health suffers but we continue to eat. A reduced life expectancy 40 years from now is just too far away and not important enough. Just my opinion of course, and I welcome the opportunity to be proven wrong.

The average weight loss achieved by dieters/weight loss bloggers is zero, but I'd say if you offered $50,000 to someone who lost weight and maintained for 10 years the success rate would be higher, even though that is what they'd expect to lose as income of an obese person is reduced due to shorter life expectancy and greater health costs / shorter working life.

If someone offered me $50,000 as a motivator for weight loss; I would be all over it wouldn't you? If someone told me that in 40 years I would still have many good years ahead of me if I lost the same amount of weight not so much. If that same person said I had to maintain the loss for 10 years before receiving the $50,000 the same enthusiasm would not be there. I would have to receive the $50,000 immediately upon losing said amount of weight then I would spend the money and what happens next? You know. I would gain the weight back plus some probably. I lost the weight for the wrong reason and once I received the money (another phrase for "reached my goal weight") things would return to the original state.

Weight loss is not like a cold, you get over it, and go back to life as usual. It has never worked and it never will.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Myra, thanks for posting my comment. It's just a theory, not proven scientifically or anything. I developed this theory after knowing that I had 10 years to lose weight for my next high school reunion but I was nearly at my highest weight when I had it.

    $50,000 after 10 years is $100 a week. If you could get $33 a week each week plus $1,667 each year plus $16,667 after 10 years (total $50,000) would you be more likely to maintain? Of course the answer is none of us know.

    It's common knowledge that even with the Grim Reaper staring people in the face, it's extremely hard to get people to change their behaviour. I'm not talking about exercise and eating well, I'm talking about simple things like taking medicine or seeing a doctor now and then. Hence my second sentence. Find another reason to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your last sentence. I am going to expand on that too. You are giving me all kinds of ideas! We should all share those little "epiphanies" we get from what others say either as a comment or as a blog post. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I have really grown to understand that weight issues are just an outer manifestation of inner issues. Some people are lucky that they don't put on weight while dealing with personal problems or personal weaknesses, but many of us do. In some ways it seems a gift though to have this thing that you have to look at and deal with every day and cannot avoid easily. Otherwise there are those whose demons are deeper inside and its easier to go further down a lousy path without anyone noticing. Just my point of view on the idea that yes, there has to be something bigger than just physical health. Being overweight is a sign of something being intrinsically wrong with the whole picture, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I had an aunt who always lost weight when she was upset because she couldn't eat. Not me. Gaining the weight was not about health so I guess we shouldn't expect losing it to be any different. Take care.

      Delete
  3. It hasn't been for me (healthy=a great motivator:NOT). It should be. I suppose it has to a degree...I have gotten my A1C down from 12 to 6 but I feel, no, I KNOW I could be doing much better (in regards to my diabetes). I'm still finding my way.

    All I know is this, motivated or not, It has to get down-period. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's your motivation - it has to be done. No if's, and's, or but's. I guess better health will just be a side effect and not the main show. Either way it's a good thing and you gotta do what you gotta do. Take care.

      Delete
  4. It's something to do I think with long and short term rewards too. Short term rewards are great. The long term ones are just too darn long term. That's my experience. I do need to lose weight and I want to. But a side of me wants the short term gratification. It's a matter of making sure the sensible side of me wins. Always hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I remember back in the day when I was doing WW the new digit was the first goal, then the upper part of the new digit, then the lower part of the new digit, then the next lower digit. We have to break larger goals into smaller ones so that we can see our progress on a smaller scale. Pam at Plump Nonfiction had a neat idea. She has one jar with pretty marbles in it representing the number of pounds lost and another jar with marbles in it representing the pounds to go. Each pound lost means moving a marble from one jar to the other. You might try it! Take care.

      Delete