Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dry Creek Bed

My stomach did not growl until after noon today and it was because I was working on the dry creek bed and wanted to at least get the larger rocks down each side which I had to move from another place in the yard. Another reason is that I ate almonds last night and I am usually not hungry in the morning for a while when I do that. Jenn also talks about having the same tendency with almonds. When on low carb it is easy to think, "These have no carbs so I can eat all I want". - NOT - calories do count although these calories don't cause the blood sugar train wreck that something like cookies or candy will cause. We can rationalize almost anything. I know because I have had years of practice.

Anyway - here are some pictures.




We used to have a water feature in this old claw foot bathtub. It was really cute with the water coming up through the sink faucet and then the sink spilling over into the tub where there were gold fish. It got to be a pain with algae and slime so now it is going to be a flower bed. This is at the top of the dry creek bed and behind the outhouse (see below).


This the view from the bottom of the hill. I have already started planting some rocks as you can see on the left and right of the dry creek bed. I will have all the river rock in it in a couple of days.



This is my outhouse "yard art" that son #2 got for me for my birthday a few years ago. That is an old oat drill with iron wheels on it on the left. I have planted a clematis on each wheel. There are cone flowers and various other flowers around it.

This is the wagon in the front yard with large pots of flowers in it.

I took some more pictures but couldn't get them to load up. I'll have to save them for later.

I have to stop now and go get ready for a family cookout where we will meet my cousin Karli's fiance. Cookouts are pretty easy for me. I have no problem eating a hamburger and a hot dog without a bun. There are usually fresh vegetables and I will take my water.

Hope all of you are having a wonderful Sunday.





6 comments:

  1. Lookin' great, Myra! See you at the cookout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has really been easier to do than I thought it would be. I will be "planting" more rocks today. They don't need watered or dead headed - that's the idea - to make less work for myself. Since I don't know when to quit some changes must be made to make it easier on this old back! Take care.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yeah...the rationalization of over eating healthy foods & fats, such as almonds, avocados, bananas is my newest battle. I often take to the, "I deserve it," way of thinking with these foods because, after all, it's not like I'm gorging on sugar and processed foods. But excess calories still add up to excess pounds, no matter what source they are from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am stuck at my present weight because of the very same thing that you describe. If it's healthy and low fat the amounts should be unlimited don't you think? Apparently that's not the case :-) Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Loving that dry river bed. It looks really cool. I am getting ready for a two week vacation and that is always a good test as to how good I am doing with not 'rationalizing' too much and just being intuitive. I throw in extra exercise when I vacation and that usually keeps me good and not gaining, even while I don't totally stay on track. It's a good lesson for me in finding good boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dry creek bed and rock garden are pretty much done. I love it - low maintenance here I come. Occasional spraying for weeds will be all we have to do. The old back is saying it's time to scale back a bit. Enjoy your vacation. We don't have to go berserk with the eating just enjoy some local food and lean meats, vegetables, and fruits should fit right in. Let me know how it went. Take care.

      Delete