Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day

"Personal responsibility is the price of liberty." -- Michael Cloud 

"A free society cannot work unless people take charge of their lives and assume responsibility for their actions." -- Jim Powell 


My sister at jensgyrations.blogspot. com had these two quotes on her blog today. How appropriate for the situation we now find America to be in and how appropriate for our personal lives which ultimately contribute to the situation we now find America to be in.


Personal responsibility IS the price for our liberation from obesity. We are not addicted. We already have to have food to survive. Personal responsibility is the price and it is non-negotiable. We cannot follow someone else's rules; we cannot order food that is prepackaged because we don't want to be responsible for those choices ourselves; we don't have to eat refined sugar in its many forms; we can move more and drink more water. Today can be the day - regardless of what has been done in the past whether it be poor dieting, surgeries, lap bands, yo-yo dieting - there is still life and hope and we are all free to walk away from our destructive habits. A gal at one of the banks where I deliver deposits has noticed my weight loss and I have told her how I did it and have encouraged her to cut back her carbs, exercise, and drink plenty of water.  On my way out yesterday she screwed up her face and told me, "I can't give up my ice cream and my pasta" - really? - I told her the correct word was "won't" not "can't". We want to have our cake and eat it too. We want to lose weight and eat what we want.


Will we take charge of our lives and assume responsibility? Stay fat if you want to. That is the only conclusion that can be drawn when someone continues to do the things that cause the obesity. I am well aware of the role of emotions in all this. I battled binge eating for years. I know how it feels. I just kept fighting. The binges became less severe and farther apart. Now I no longer binge.


Dependency is a growing problem in America. Have you heard about the parties given to inform and encourage people to get on food stamps? There are more people on food stamps now than ever before. Those are Democratic votes though and that is the important thing to them. A government that is big enough to give us everything we want is big enough to take everything we have. When Americans decide to expect personal responsibility (and it starts at a very young age) things will turn around. We have people on food stamps who would be working if we had an economy that encouraged business which means jobs. We have a government that has spent us into oblivion and now wants the rich and businesses to bail it out. If the wealth of all our rich were combined it wouldn't make much of a dent in the debt America has - borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend from China? Ridiculous. What really burns me is the liberals have spent and borrowed and when conservatives are willing to make the tough decisions to turn it around, they are accused of taking away social security, letting the handicapped fend for themselves, wanting dirty air and water, leaving people unprotected and on it goes. This administration has had no budget for three years. How can they live within a budget they do not have? It's going to be time to have the discussions over raising the debt ceiling again soon. Should be interesting. Cuts in spending will be characterized as heartless and cruel. A collapsed economy won't be much fun either. 


I am going to stop on the political stuff. Liberty from obesity is ours to have. No more dependency. I just have to sing the praises of low-carb again. If there is an easy way to lose weight with very little hunger, this is it.  Drinking water must become second nature and the attitude toward exercise should start with "Just Do It" and end with "Just Did It".


Have a wonderful, blessed Fourth of July. 

10 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister! "Amen" to EVERYTHING - political AND health-related. Glad you're experiencing freedom from binging, etc. I'm waiting for an updated photo! You must be getting close to your "target", right?

    Politically, I'm a little cynical. Not sure ANYone "up there" has the courage to make the tough decisions. And I'm not sure what difference I can make at that level.

    Personally, I'm committed and active to take responsibility for healthy choices and habits.

    We're surrounded by challenges since the storm last Friday. We were more fortunate that many of our friends who still are w/o power & water, etc. We have been getting OUR exercise helping with clean-up, toting water, and offering our shower to many who need it.

    A blessed Fourth to you as you celebrate and reflect on these topics, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting another photo soon. I am almost in the 170's and will be posting a new picture at that time. I got home at 11:30 Saturday and Sunday evenings from fixing ATM's in Ohio. I was sitting around at about 6:30 on Sunday and 7 ATM's all came in at once. The storms keep missing us for the most part. Sounds like you are getting exercise just helping others deal with this. Taking active responsibility and being proactive will take you to goal weight and keep you there! God bless you and yours on Independence Day!

      Delete
  2. Great post today - miss you when you're gone! I've had to skip a day here and there at my blog too...life's just busy right now! Have a great 4th, and God Bless America!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been quite "sparse" lately and it will probably continue until it starts raining. I have also been working full time and being on call as well. I haven't had any trouble spending the money I am glad to report :-)

      Delete
  3. Thumbs up to everything you said. Agree, agree, and agree!

    As for weight control, I am hard headed (and I know it). I also know I need to read post like this that reminds me of the power I have to make the decisions I need. I have that responsibility. And when I really think about it, that's the way I want it to be!

    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let yourself get away with lame excuses for not doing the right thing. It's easy to "drift" back to old habits. I don't know about you, but this is the last time I intend to have to get this weight off. This is the third and last time. I know this because I am the one who makes it so - just like you. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. I get asked all the time how I've lost weight - with the preface "just tell me what you do, I'll do anything to lose weight." You know what their faces look like when I say "Exercise, eliminate as much as possible anything processed, eat tons of fruits, veggies, and healthy protein." Then the face drops and I hear "Oh, I just hoped you were taking a supplement"

    Nope -- just hard work. And I'm glad it's hard. Maybe it will be hard enough I will not go back to where I was.

    Keep on hanging in there Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't just snap our fingers or wiggle our noses and the weight was off like those people want to hear. The inner strength it takes to lose weight and keep it off is something many really don't want it seems. They want the easy way out just like we used to but have finally gotten it through our heads what has to be done. You hang in there as well. We both know it is worth it. Take care.

      Delete
  5. What a brave and wonderful post! I have avoided the political stuff because I live in a place where I simply cannot safely state my conservative views and I don't want to be similarly beaten down on my blog as well. Maybe I ought to be a bit braver myself?
    I love the way you have weaved your weight loss message into the personal responsibility idea as well. It all makes perfect sense. Really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the reasons the liberals are in control is that conservatives are intimidated for some reason. Conservatives have tried to go along to get along. I say "no more". We have the facts and truth going for us. Who cares if they are offended or call us names like racist or heartless or cruel? Their opinions do not matter. They can be offended all they want. Their arrogance makes me sick. Don't be afraid to speak up for what you believe. Take care.

      Delete