Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, July 5, 2012

FYI

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/#axzz1zgSFXVWY

This is another plug for low-carb eating. I do not consider myself Paleo because of the dairy I eat. I do enjoy some cheese and some yogurt.

And this:

http://refusetoregain.com/refusetoregain/2012/06/jama-study-confirms-maintenance-benefits-of-low-carb-diet.html

Both of these bits of information will serve you well as you consider how and what you eat. I especially love the maintenance benefits of low-carb eating as described in the second article. I posted earlier about an authority who stated that when adding back foods for maintenance benefits - do not add back carbs.

It just makes sense. I have had people tell me that low-carb eating doesn't work for them. I would have to take issue with that. Unless there is some medical condition it does work because metabolism is pretty much accomplished the same way for all. There are variables such as muscle mass, lifestyle, and such but it does work. These people who tell me it doesn't work for them are not having success with what they are doing either so I have to think the problem is effort.

The beauty of low-carb eating for me was that I didn't have to go hungry. I had a couple of false starts because my obese brain got to thinking h'mmmm if this has none or very few carbs I can eat all I want of it. We still need to eat when we are hungry and stop when full. I do have to confess that I don't wait for the growl all the time. It does happen but I am so tired of fighting to wait to eat. I eat almonds, walnuts, or hard boiled eggs for snacks. Sometimes it is an orange or banana but I usually go for the protein.

Hunger is different now. It is not the disturbing, craving, panic that I felt when still eating so many carbs. This is described in article one above. Hunger now is an empty, hollow feeling.

We went to a Fourth of July family cook out today and I had a hot dog and a cheeseburger - both without the bun. There was a vegetable tray there so I loaded up on that. There were deviled eggs and bowl of mixed, fresh fruit so there was dessert. I took water to drink. No problem.

I will have a salad for supper. I listen to a radio show about health and the doctor said his mother needed knee replacement surgery but the doctors would not do the surgery because of her blood pressure which was 170 on the top (sounds like mine some days). He told her to cut back on sugar and carbs and eat 1/2 of an avocado a day. Her blood pressure went down to 130. I am doing that now because my blood pressure still is not under control. I am already cutting back on sugar and carbs so I am hoping the avocado makes a difference.

Take care.


8 comments:

  1. Interesting about the avocado a day. My b/p is great but I still take a small dose of meds daily.

    Thanks for the links...going there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get some information that you can use. Be well.

      Delete
  2. I am living proof that low carb eating works. I do not count calories and always eat until I am satisfied and sometimes full. Because I'm loading up on lean protein and vegetables, I'm getting all the carbs my body requires through the veggies...and I don't crave processed carbs or sugar. I will have to eat this way for the rest of my life, and I'm perfectly alright with that:)Good luck with the avocado. Hope that works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sing the praises of low-carb eating every chance I get. It just makes sense don't you think? I love not having to fight that craving panic when the blood sugar bottoms out due to eating too many carbs. This is do-able for the rest of my life. I feel so much better, the heat doesn't bother me like it used to, and feeling that empty hunger is not threatening. Yay for us Leigh. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. A low carb diet is great, it really is. I've done it many times in the last 3 years, but I can never stick to it for one simple thing: I just don't enjoy it. No fruit. Bread etc I don't really miss but fruit I do. Plus other carb rich foods. But I'm still low carbing for one simple reason: I've only got about 8kg to go, and figure that I can probably handle low carb one last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have fruit. I eat bread. All berries and cantaloupe are low-carb friendly. I eat apples and oranges. Ezekiel bread is low carb. How many carbs are you allowing yourself a day? Remember it's low carb not no carb. Are you eating carb rich foods, breads/pastas, and fruit and being successful? Perhaps if you took the time to plan for a while you would become aware of all the good food that is available. I have killer salads on low carb with real salad dressing. You will have a problem with maintenance if your carb intake is very high. Take care.

      Delete
  4. That was good advice you gave "ME". You are right - low carbing does work. And if you battle high blood sugar (insulin resistance, diabetes, etc.), low carb is the only way to eat if you want to ditch medication (for most cases).

    I'm curious, how many carbs (about) is your body able to handle? Are you in weight loss mode now or maintaining? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still in weight loss mode. I don't weigh very often but started out at 230 and am now in the low 180's. I had to find the spot where I had enough carbs so that I wouldn't be tired. I would say I have between 50 and 75 carbs per day. I tried Atkins once and the first phase was not for me. I was tired, terrible taste in my mouth, breath that would peel paint off the wall - yuk. I know the goal was to get in fat burning mode or ketosis but there can be success without putting yourself through that. You just have to be careful not to get in the mindset of "this has almost no carbs so I can have all I want". We still have to use our brains. Best wishes for success!!

    ReplyDelete