Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, July 20, 2012

Avocado

I have been eating avocados because of their beneficial effects on blood pressure.

It's too bad they have no taste. All I taste is mush. Anybody out there with me? I know a lot of people love guacamole but I have to say they are tasting the seasonings not the avocado. My husband loves fried zucchini and I told him he was tasting the breading and the fat and not so much the zucchini.

So I have been dicing up an avocado on my salads and dealing with eating mush. I was making some egg salad just now and decided to dice up an avocado in it - WOW - it's good. I used four hard boiled eggs, a packet of fat free mayonnaise from the Army that Nathan brought home with him, some of my home made zucchini relish (which is wonderful), and the avocado. It's really good. Egg salad is supposed to be mushy; salads should be crunchy I think. I am tasting my relish because avocado has no taste :-)

I am still sore from those No. 1 Fat Burning Exercises I did the other day. I forgot the importance of stretching before and after exercising. I went to step aerobics today and noticed how much it lessened the soreness because of the stretching. I will do the exercises again tomorrow but will be careful to do those "Sun Salutes" before I start and do some stretching when done. I would like to be able to hold a plank position for 2 minutes like the book by Martina Navratilova recommends. I can do maybe 15 seconds. Those are one of the best exercises to do according to what I have read. I might do those first as a way to get my muscles ready for the Fat Burning Exercise.

I need to weigh myself again. Last time I weighed I had lost 2 lb. of the 5 lb. I gained from the "drift" that occurs when we take our eyes off the ball. I really think it was too much fruit and eating too much of the right things.

We spent $154 on the cat today. I don't remember spending that much on our kids. Noggin has a cold (I didn't know cats could get a cold). She needed to be vaccinated and wormed and get a rabies shot. They treated her to prevent fleas, and we got some more pain pills for Sarge. He is limping due to rapid growth and soft bones which is pretty common.

Be careful out there today.

12 comments:

  1. Avocado with eggs is an awesome idea. You are right; their flavor is mild but I do love them. Last night my mother-in-law sliced a large zucchini lengthwise into wedges, brushed them with a little olive oil and grilled them -- VERY delicious; maybe your husband would like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try the grilled zucchini idea. I think thick slices would be easier to deal with on the grill. Let me know what you think of egg salad with avocado in it. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I love avocado so much that I eat it just sliced up. I can eat the whole thing in one sitting! However, I do like them more when they are still a little firm. To me, they taste like butter with a bit of a nutty flavor.
    I admire your willingness to eat a food just because it is good for you. I always say that a food can't be good for me if I won't eat it. I've done way too much eating to be polite in my life so I skip anything that I don't like. But I'm lucky and strange in the way that my tastes often change in both directions- things I love can become 'yucky' to me and things I've never liked can become 'loves' every few years or so, so I try things again frequently!
    And yes, I hear you on the vet bills... we're there right now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to lower my blood pressure so I am eating them. There was a gal at a quilt retreat with me who just halved an avocado and scooped it out and ate it. She told me she had gotten her blood pressure down to normal by changing her diet which included avocados so I am hoping it has the same effect on my blood pressure. It's amazing what we will spend on our pets isn't it? But then, they are members of the family. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Though the flavor of an avocado isn't super strong, I DO taste them... I love the taste. I can eat just avocado without any seasonings. It feels almost naughty, like I am eating butter or something :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fat from avocados is super good for you so you don't have to feel bad about eating them. I am going to keep working on it. Is it possible to develop a taste for something that has no taste? :-)

      Delete
  4. Not very tasty, but I am just learning to eat avocadoes. A little lemon juice helps. They are quite pricey here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a doctor on the radio recommend half an avocado a day for benefits but since I don't know when to quit, I figure if half is good, the whole thing would be great! It would help defray the cost if you could make one last two days. I'll try the lemon juice - at least there would be some flavor that way. :-)

      Delete
  5. I never though of putting avocado in egg salad. Thanks for the tip:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be looking for a wonderful recipe from you which includes eggs and avocados! I am sure you can be more creative than I was but what I did was pretty good. I will get two meals out of it. Take care.

      Delete
  6. I love avocados sliced on my salads AND spiced up as guacamole. It seems that many of us have to be vigilant if we are going to maintain any weight loss--not true for everyone, but those are the people who never seem to have a weight problem.

    As for the cat--hope she's doing well. It always amazes me that when I take our dog to the vet, they come up with so many things that she NEEDS? to have done. I tend to not take her unless I absolutely have to, because it's unpleasant to refuse having certain things done. For example heartworm testing, among other things...I've never heard of a dog in these parts to have heartworm, but the vet pushes for it. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm a minimalist with my own health testing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend the heartworm testing. I know of people who have just found a beloved dog dead for no apparent reason. Heartworms will do this. I got lax and regained. There's no good excuse for letting this happen but I did and now I have just made the journey a little bit longer but perhaps it taught me a lesson? I am glad you like avocados. They are very good for us. Take care.

      Delete