Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, June 21, 2012

Group Answer

I usually answer each comment individually but I worked 14.25 hours today (Thursday) and have to do a 300 mile route on Friday.

We all eat food. Abusing it is self-destructive. I know this all too well from first-hand experience. We don't all use cocaine but if we abuse that we will become addicted every time. Abusing alcohol brings about addiction as well. Do people abuse these two substances for emotional reasons as well? I'm sure it may start out that way. The difference is the body can come to depend on these substances to function and medical intervention is necessary or the person may die. I just don't see this happening with eating. There are medical interventions for obesity and better health is the result. We hear of some who have had the intestinal bypass surgery and gain back their weight. Is it because they are still addicted or because the emotional reasons for the overeating were not resolved? This can also be said of the other addictions I just mentioned. It could be argued that this is the same thing and I understand that.

I understand the rationale behind defining addiction as it relates to food. I just don't buy it I guess. I still feel like overeating is emotional at its base and not the result of addiction.

Each of us has to deal with this in the way that suits us best. I just don't want anyone using food addiction as a shield against changing a lifestyle. Life is too precious and we all want to be happy. If you feel you are addicted to food, does that facilitate repeated failures to overcome? We each have to answer that. I truly feel we can change. A trigger food doesn't equal addiction. It used to be peanut butter for me. As I look back I think I was truly craving the protein after dieting in the wrong way.

Good discussion folks. I am sure we are all thinking about this as it relates to our lives.

Be careful out there today.

4 comments:

  1. I have claimed that I was addicted to carbs and sugar. Am I really? No. Once I stopped eating them, I began to lose weight, and I no longer craved them. It was that simple. I don't think it's as simple for a heroin addict. I didn't have to go to detox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that in most cases overeating compulsively is an addiction. I think it is a habit. There is a difference. People will tell you that changes in brain activity have been observed when eating certain foods, such as chocolate, much like taking a drug. However, the brain also shows such changes during other activities, such as sex, for example.

    Habits can be very strong and respond to triggers. That does not mean that one has an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with your statement " I still feel like overeating is emotional at its base and not the result of addiction" I've seen that play out in my own life. The more I realize the truth of how HUGE emotions are a part of my view of food, etc., the more free I am becoming to look at food like a "normal" (not always thinking of food, calories, etc.) person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think lots of people are addicted to food. If the numbers hold the same for food as for alcohol or cocaine, it's a small percentage when compared to those who abuse those substances or can use them without problems.

    That said, I agree with Michael Prager (of Fat Boy, Thin Man) that for some of us, approaching it as if it is addiction can be helpful. It's not at all about using it "as a shield against changing a lifestyle" but looking at how to create a lifestyle that works. And for some folks, that may well mean abstaining or at least avoiding foods that may lead to a slippery slope of overeating.

    And BTW, I think it's safe to say that people abuse alcohol for emotional reasons! It's a far better emotional number than food actually.

    ReplyDelete