Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Obsessed With Weight?

On action alone be thy interest, never on its fruits. -Bhagavad Gita

Still obsessed with weight? Are you terrified to stop the constant monitoring of your weight? What if there is a gain? How will I know if I don't weigh? I need to know if I lost weight so I will know if I am a good person or not. We usually aren't happy with a loss because it usually isn't enough or we think we deserved a bigger loss.

Shouldn't we concentrate on what we are doing rather than on the scale? The scale doesn't change a thing. How many of us sneak up on the scale - we try to see how much we can get by with? Poor eating may not catch up with us until the next week so we can't think H'mmmm I overate a couple times and still lost weight - wonder if I can get by with that again. I know it can be a wake-up call. If we know there is going to be a gain shouldn't our focus be on the actions, the behaviors that we know have caused the gain? If there is a loss, we know why. If there is a gain, we know why as well. If we know it is our TOM why get upset about it? Maybe we have been overeating and as luck would have it our TOM gives us a ready made reason. Some women do suffer I know. I had a student who suffered terrible PMS and would not even go on trips with our student organization because she knew she would be miserable. She wrapped herself in a rug and shot herself when she was very young. This is an extreme case. I know some women have to deal with out of whack hormones.

I have read where people are afraid to weigh because they KNOW it's not going to be good news. It's going to be hard to face that number when it pops up because we will immediately have to calm ourselves down, a little rationalizing will be thrown in, and we will have to start getting back to where we were so we can start losing again.

If our actions are the main thing, the weight will come off. Our plans should revolve around our behaviors and what we do - period. We can then weigh when we think about it or just when we feel like it. I rarely weigh myself. I don't care. I know that if I am acting like a slim person, one day I will be a slim person. It doesn't matter to me how quickly I get there - just so I am heading in that direction.

Breakfast was a raisin bran muffin.

I had almond butter with flaxseed on a banana  for lunch and some home made granola.

Supper was a hard boiled egg, a piece of cheese, and Greek yogurt with chia seeds, stevia, and sugar free jelly.

I am going to make a point of eating more vegetables tomorrow.

I drank my water today and had my Jazzercise class this evening. I also did yard work today. I will have step aerobics in the morning.

Let's think about our actions and let the fruits just happen. (They will)


14 comments:

  1. YOU ARE INVITED TO VISIT:

    A TRIBUTE TO MOTHERS:

    http://stuffyouadore.blogspot.com/2012/04/loving-mothers-are-broken-hearted-big.html

    FROM THE MANUFACTURER’S HANDBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invitation. I am a follower now.

      Delete
  2. I needed to hear this today. I'm trying to stay focused and trust that I have built a habit. I know what to eat. I know what not to eat. Gotta just trust. Trust and not stress out about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going well Nanette. Even when you are going through tough times you are learning about yourself and what you really want and what you have to do. Each day must be lived within the boundaries you have set for yourself. It cannot be at the mercy of emotions. There are many parts to your life - eating is only one part and can be compartmentalized and not used to lubricate the other parts. Take care of yourself today and then repeat tomorrow. Be well.

      Delete
  3. I do believe that you are right in your statement about "acting like a slim person." I sometimes think all of our weighing, calorie counting, agonizing over diets is counterproductive. I do believe that somewhere along the way, some of us got off the track of normalcy. One thing leads to another, and pretty soon we're compulsive and obsessed--and that's what makes it so hard to be a normal weight. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We make a science experiment out of it don't we? I know it is hard to relax and just be a slim person whether we look like one yet or not. We will look like one if we accept the fact that we must do what we already know to do. We cannot run to food anymore and eat for the wrong reasons - that just adds another problem. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I do feel pretty normal these days, but then I was always afraid of over-obsessing because of how my mother always did that and yo-yo'ed so drastically over the years.
    The only thing that seems to get to me is when others are shocked that I 'still have not put the weight back on' or concern themselves with every morsel I put into my mouth.
    True enough, I worry sometimes. It's weird but sometimes I expect to see that chubby girl when I get my picture taken and then am pleasantly surprised that she didn't manage to sneak back in there. Silly, I know. But it does take a lot more time to adjust to the 'newer' you and there can be landmines.
    I try to let myself be totally normal on vacations and try to get further apart with the weighing and get some intuitiveness going. It builds my trust that there will be no going back no matter what. But then I felt that way from the beginning of this journey. I was just sure that I was literally only doing this once. I bet I can thank my mother for that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are becoming more comfortable with yourself - a great step forward. I remember after losing my weight the first time I would still buy clothes that were too big for me because what I really was and what my perception of what I was had not lined up yet. It isn't silly to realize and be aware of what's happening in your head and confronting it with the truth. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  5. There you go again Myra - straight to my core!

    Here's a comment I'm going to write about soon, once my thoughts have melded.

    "If you want to destroy something, take it to the extreme."

    Kind of ties in with what you are writing about today doesn't it?

    Love the Bhagavad Gita reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that quote and will be looking forward to the post. You and I must be on the same wavelength :-)

      Delete
  6. I do weigh often because if I gain a few pounds, I want to get them off immediately. But, I don't live and die by the scale. It is only a measuring device and it does not measure all the good I am doing for myself by eating nutritious foods and being good to my body. I have been through the obsession phase. I have been through the don't care phase. I am now in the nice place in-between. Trying to be positive and learn from my mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you know you had gained a few pounds without weighing? I think the quote means that the actions tell us more than the number on the scale. If this works for you, I think you are right where you should be. Take care.

      Delete
  7. I feel like I'm still a beginner on this healthy living/weight loss journey. My one huge fear in starting is that I would become obbsessed with losing weight to a point where it becomes unhealthy. I think that is a good fear to have. However, as I have be going along, I also realize that my wanting to "not make healthy living/weight loss a big deal" puts a disclaimer on it. I DO want to focus on being healthy, not to have measurable goals concerning weight loss every week. But, if I don't make something a big deal, I can't fail, right? Am I using something good as a crutch? Right now I need to work on those S.M.A.R.T. goals! Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else. Still working on it in my own mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to start somewhere and think things through. If you have a compulsive personality (as I do) then you will have to monitor your emotions pretty closely. I really believe in low-carb living, drinking 64 oz. (or more) of water a day, and exercising 4 - 6 time a week. Creating new habits will take you to the success you desire. Take care.

      Delete