Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lest You Forget Me

I am going to try and get one post in a week. I have literally been working outside in the yard until dark each day. I need to be cloned so I can get it all done. I have cancelled Jazzercise for the summer. I am going to get in 3 days of step aerobics to maintain the muscle I have developed. I am carrying a watering can in each hand around the yard - that should count for something. I ran the tiller today, planted corn and beans, filled some flower pots and pulled some weeds - that is exercise don't you think?

I did have a thought about a topic.

Have you ever considered how two people can look at the same situation and have two different perceptions of the situation? Let's consider a family reunion as I imagine many of us will have a couple of those this summer; I know I will. One person lives in fear of the day and the failure that he/she feels is sure to happen. Another person won't get all stressed out, but consider it just another day, and will do the best he/she can seeing the day as a chance to prove to him or herself that control is the rule of each day of eating not just at a family reunion.

A New Year's Eve party would be another example of one person thinking "What's the use; I might as well enjoy (?) this last day of the year and start tomorrow getting serious. Another person will see it as a chance to enjoy the company of friends - this person won't be starting over tomorrow because that person didn't stop the new lifestyle for a party.The new lifestyle can include a drink or two or none at all. The new lifestyle can enjoy an evening without losing control and begin a 3-day binge.

How do you perceive exercise? Is it a chore? Is it something you do as a part of your routine without stopping to consider if you are in the mood or if there is something you would rather do and skip it?

Have your perceptions changed? We all have to work on ourselves and how we perceive this new undertaking of becoming healthy and being the best version of ourselves we can be.

I need to get the dirt out from under my fingernails now. Take care.

6 comments:

  1. I am envious imagining the flowers and vegetables you're going to have. You also must be burning A LOT of calories!

    As far as perceptions, I think, we all have our own, and sometimes they're pretty close to someone else's, and sometimes they're eons apart. I think our experiences determine our perceptions and outlook on life. If we're lucky, we can change things that aren't working for us. And to answer your question about exercise, I would have to say that it is a chore. My generation never did much as we grew up and were young adults. We really have to work at it. Have a very nice weekend, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about our experiences determining our perceptions. When this works against our best efforts, we must be ever vigilant about developing a proactive stance about unhealthy ways and attitudes. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. Exercise is such a part of my life now. I can't imagine not owing it!

    We are just planting our garden this weekend. You definitely have a jump on us. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is very rewarding isn't it? We have already had to spray for potato bugs! We have had two nice bowls of strawberries now. We were able to get our garden out early because of the unseasonably warm spring we have had. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Doing the yard work has turned out to be a nice calorie burner so I'm with you on that. And the nice results are so worth it- the calorie burning and the lovely surroundings and crops.
    As to the perceptions, I am always amazed at how different perceptions can be. I remember distinctly always hearing many relatives talk about how stressed out the reunions made them and not understanding that feeling as a kid. As an adult I now try to remember how I felt as a kid and keep things in perspective. There is always that moment when we have a choice as to how we will react even if we don't realize that it is indeed a choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We create a lot of our own stress don't you think? Staying calm will go a long way to making wise choices at the food line. I usually look over everything first and choose the best, most wonderful dishes to try. I don't take things that I can or do make at home. Starting at the beginning and trying to get some of everything makes for an overloaded plate and an over filled tummy! Be well.

      Delete