Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, May 20, 2012

Do We Really Deserve a Break Today?

***If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one.  ~Cavett Robert (from jensgyrations.blogspot.com)


I have read many bloggers say after returning to the food/exercise plan after a hiatus that they needed a break? A break from what?


Several things come to mind:
     Losing weight? Success? Exercising? Healthy eating? Progress? Self-discipline?


When these people return it is usually at a higher weight than before this break that they needed. My question is this - are we ever better off after the break than we were before it? I guess I have two questions - is this just a way to protect ourselves emotionally from facing facts? Was this break just a form of self-sabotage? (OK so three questions).


Can you see how good we are at playing games and fooling ourselves? Practice makes perfect.


Our "breaks" come when we go back to doing what we know best - we know how to be obese and sedentary. It's comfortable for us because we can do it so well. Becoming a new person is threatening and carries with it responsibilities and expectations. This can be more frightening than we realize.


Let's take a big, long, permanent break from obesity rather than from the things that will overcome it for the rest of our lives.







12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Norma. Now that I am not posting so often, I have time to "think" about my topics and content. I hope they are helpful to those who read. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. Since obesity is a serious medical condition, one should never take a break from treatment. I may give myself a REASONABLE treat once in a while, but I can't "take a break" from what is my life now. Why would I want to back pedal and give up feeling as good as I do now? Great insight Myra:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Calling these lapses "breaks" is not a realistic view of the situation or the emotions that brought it on. You have developed a wisdom that serves you well as you are aware of what our emotions can do to us if we are not being mature about the choices that we make. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Good points Myra. Once I started treating obesity as the chronic & threatening disease that it was and ditched the grains and sugar, there is no break. Only a new normal. Karen P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can be no break from being rational and logical if we truly are committed to losing our extra weight and getting healthy. You are right - it is normal now to do healthy things daily rather than taking "breaks". Take care.

      Delete
  4. I am feeling guilty! I just posted I am taking a break...lol. Just from tracking today. But still! you are right really what is it going to gain me? I am hoping mentally not be wrapped up so much on FOOD. I still think I will take that break today. but you defiantly have given me something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't let that one day break become two or three and really think about the whole "break" thing. It can become a habit that will be difficult to break. Take care of yourself!

      Delete
  5. Here's to less "break" fast. LOL. My foodie conscious thinks McDonald's when reading the post title. How sad...huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. McDonald's will certainly be a part of a "break" that we don't want if we let them. Unfortunately that is a break some people allow and it just never works out for our benefit. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last thing I need is a "break" from my weight loss process. I've done that before, and it's never a good thing! It's just a way to stay on that weight loss merry-go-round that never arrives anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who are successful are the ones who make a permanent life changing commitment to health. This is not to say there are not lapses very occasionally with immediate return to our new normal. Those who lose weight, take a break, regain, start again on the merry-go-round you describe are the ones who are constantly blogging about breaks, starting over, using their slogans (not going to beat myself up, I'm OK with it, etc.) are the ones who waste a lot of time, emotion, and effort and undo what they have accomplished. Be careful out there today.

      Delete