Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cooking Under Pressure

There is a longer post coming tomorrow but I wanted to share with you a newfound cooking method - pressure cooking. I cooked a 6 lb. chicken in my new pressure cooker with seasonings, onions, and celery. In 45 minutes it was fall off of the bone tender. The pressure cooker left it moist and wonderful. I have the broth in the refrigerator now so that I can get the fat off the top and use that wonderful broth in another dish.

By the "weigh" I weighed 186 yesterday morning. I weighed 188.5 before my quilt retreat about a month ago. I am still battling my blood pressure. It was too high at my DOT physical for ATM Solutions where I work. The first reading was 148/104 - bummer. When I failed the first test my top number was 186 I believe - big bummer. The bottom number has been normal here at home and that bottom number reads normal now. I have taken my blood pressure machine in to my doctor so they could compare it to their readings and they said it was OK. This is war. I have had three different families of blood pressure medicine with terrible side effects so I stopped taking them. The beta blockers gave me a horrible cough, the calcium channel blockers made my feet and ankles swell, and the last ones caused my heart to beat so hard and fast it hurt. I also blacked out. ENOUGH. I looked on the internet and beet root juice was recommended so I am doing that. I make a "tonic" from honey/apple cider vinegar/garlic and have some of that twice a day. I take L-arginine and take an herbal blood pressure formula. I have lost over 40 lb. and exercise. I am drinking plenty of water.

Do any of you know of any natural ways to fight blood pressure?

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your weight loss. And I'm "weight-ing" to hear what natural remedies you find! I have a similar problem. I KNOW I should be on medication but have been putting off doctoring for it. (I, too, have a BP cuff here at home, so I know approximately what I'm dealing with.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to try some of the things I mentioned above. You could go to a natural or health foods store and they will probably have some herbal things to try. I haven't been as consistent as I should be with the above so I am paying attention to getting all of this in. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Practicing deep, rhythmic breathing can help with blood pressure. There's a device that can help you with this called the resperate that Costco sometimes carries, but you can do it yourself with a clock with a second hand. For 10-15 minutes, breathe at a 6 breaths per minute pace (breathing in and out for 5 seconds each, or breathing in for 4 and out for 6 both seem to work for me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried this so I will give it a shot. Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. My cure all for EVERYTHING is fish oil. Have you tried it? Look it up and see if you too think it could help, and keep in contact with you doctor. Don't mess with high blood pressure! I know you didn't need that peace of advice, I can gather from your post you are doing everything you can to get this under control. Best of luck. Prayers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do take krill oil and CoQ10 so I am covered there as well. I appreciate prayers. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. Are you sure you don't have 'white coat' hypertension? Your mention of normal readings at home has me suspicious. I actually have very low blood pressure, sometimes to the point of dangerous and yet I can pop a high reading at a doctor's office or in a medical situation and only in those situations thanks to a history of having bad experiences with doctors as a kid. I had a really nice doctor once who showed me how much different my reading could be if he took it at the end of the appointment when I knew there was no reason to feel threatened. Maybe this could help you. Maybe there is so much pressure to perform well that it's just all too much in the moment and is literally upping your pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has been mentioned at the doctor's office and while I don't feel all that anxious perhaps I am. My blood pressure last night before going to bed was 146/84 so that's not too bad but is certainly not what it was at the doctor's office. They usually leave and have me wait several minutes before coming back in and taking it again and it was still way too high. "White coat hypertension" is certainly a possibility. I don't know what to do about that. Any ideas?

      Delete
    2. I think you can get it diagnosed such that you are able to differentiate it from actual dangerous true high blood pressure. I know that nice doctor that I mentioned had me take readings at stores etc. and then chart them. It definitively showed that I did not have any issue with blood pressure outside of a medical situation. I think you might be able to get your job to recognize that 'white coat hypertension' is a completely different diagnosis and does NOT require meds. Your doctor needs to be on board with investigating this possibility.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for answering. I will check to see if they will accept a chart of my own readings.

      Delete