Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, April 13, 2012

Let's Get Physical

Often, the very most spiritual thing one can do, is get busy. Physically busy.
Hoeing, chopping, planting. Connecting, moving, grooving. Dipping, swirling, twirling.

(Especially dipping, swirling, and twirling. ;-)
Mike Dooley
Inspirational Author, Speaker and Friend



Olivia Newton John has a song by that name but her "physical" is not this "physical".


I have known so many naturally slim people who cannot sit still. Even if sitting, something is moving, tapping, changing positions, etc. These people burn lots of extra calories over the course of a day. They are the ones who are always up for moving around, going somewhere, or trying something new. They really are annoying don't you think? :-)


Sitting around is a big red flag - a big, FAT, red flag. I am so bad to eat out of boredom. If I am unoccupied, food comes to mind. Eating can be a sport for me. I have to be very careful about being sedentary. I am not naturally active. I have to take classes and pay for them in order to get my butt in gear at times.  I know I do better exercising if I am with others rather than doing something on my own at home. I know that. I do work in the yard and garden a lot now that the weather is nicer so that provides activity. 


I definitely have to be proactive about this. How about you?

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely! My father is 82 this year. He cannot sit still and even in his advanced age, is still going strong like the energizer bunny. He's had hip replacement surgery and knee surgery but that has not slowed him down. He's never been overweight or even had to be conscious of what he ate. Exercise has just come into my life and luckily, I have embraced it. I have to keep the momentum up or else I know I can easily lose it. Love the quote from your friend. Very true:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those people can teach us a lot and we need to follow their example. Our oldest son is like that. He will pace back and forth rather than sitting still when he is bored. People who just naturally find movement enjoyable are usually slim. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Sitting around has been so killer over these last few years. I work in an office... pretty sedentary for about 8 hours a day... So I've been trying to keep moving on the hour. Water break, run a file down the hall, go to the bathroom. I'm lucky to work in a flexible environment like that. But I've noticed it keeps me from locking up and getting stiff joints and muscles (particularly after a work out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw an article about office desks that are made so that the person working at them is standing up. They are high (of course). I suppose we could put something under the legs of our own desks to do the same thing. We burn more calories standing that we do sitting just because of the muscles we use to hold ourselves upright. I would get one of those thick, cushiony pads to stand on I think. Is this a possibility for you? Take care.

      Delete
  3. My body ached all the time when I worked in an office! Now that I'm moving around it doesn't!

    By the way, I included on of your posts in my Friday Finds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome to reference my posts anytime. Exercising has so many benefits in addition to calorie burning. Hope the knees are better!

      Delete
  4. I have to constantly move to have success without struggle. The days I sit around and do nothing are the days I can't stop thinking about food. The days I'm moving and keeping busy, I don't think about food until I actual start feeling hungry.

    Right now I'm trying to find a full-time job working in a child care center because I know without a doubt I will be busy, busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If I sit around it is so much harder to stay out of the food. Good Luck with the job hunt. I know you will be great with kids. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Yes, my natural 'can't sit still' did so save me from being even bigger than I was when I was deep in emotional eating. And yes, I can be annoying!
    I often do feel a lot more spiritual when I am moving and being busy. The feeling is hard to describe. I just love how I feel when I can finally admit that I'm a little tired and look back at what I've done- say, in the garden, etc. Of course, dancing is one of my passions and though I don't accomplish anything tangible, people have told me there's no mistaking my spiritual connection with the movement.
    Nice post and idea. Gets me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bodies were made to move. We should take advantage of that and enjoy the moment in a body that works so that we are able to do wonderful things for ourselves and others. I love to dance as well. I don't care about accomplishment; I just love the beat, the moving, and the rhythm. Take care.

      Delete
  6. I've read before about how fidgetters burn more calories a day than non-fidgetters. And so I tried to start fidgetting but I failed lol. Some people are just lucky I guess. For the rest of us, maybe we just have to work harder. But I'm okay with that. Because there's something out there that is easier for me, that may be harder for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fidgitter either - wish I was but it's just not there. If I have to make a point of it then it becomes another chore and doesn't come naturally. Fidgitters would probably like to be able to sit still and be quiet - I have no trouble at all with that! Take care and welcome to my blog.

      Delete