Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Keys Again

"Don't be discouraged. It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock. "
~ Unknown  from jensgyrations.blogspot.com

I had an earlier post about Keys and this quote is quite relevant.

Discouragement is an emotion we all have experienced. It is becoming weary and tired of being unsuccessful and wanting to give up because we feel like the success we long for is hanging in that bunch of keys somewhere. We really don't need but a few keys. Too many times we have a set of keys that someone else used before us. And the kicker is we know why we haven't been successful. We lock ourselves into behavior patterns that work against us and then get discouraged because of the behavior patterns we keep repeating. For example, my sister and I were at the Amish store and she was considering some of the sweet items. We discussed that nobody at home had requested that something like that be brought home. We buy those things for ourselves without even realizing what we are doing at the time. We "think" we are buying it for the kids, or because hubby likes it, or whatever other reason we can come up with. If we could just see that we are the problem not people at home. Now is a great time to use the reasoning that groceries are so expensive and there just isn't room in the budget for junk food. Everything in the budget needs to go for healthy items.

Have you ever heard the saying that it is darkest before the dawn?

Do those who quit ever wonder how much longer it would have been before they had a breakthrough? They get discouraged and quit when it could have been the next day that things fell into place, the head was on straight, and they had a new enthusiasm to get their weight off. They would have found the right key had they just kept on and got it figured out. We usually have it figured out; we just don't want to buckle down and deny ourselves any of the foods we have ourselves convinced that we "love".

If you are struggling, don't quit. If we quit, it means we have to start over again. Haven't we done that enough? Take care.

6 comments:

  1. I love this post Myra! Whenever I get discouraged I force myself to think about where I came from, and how badly I DON'T want to go back there. So it's worth all the effort it takes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping that in mind will keep us away from making poor choices with food and exercise. It is counterproductive to let discouragement make our choices for us. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Quitting doesn't agree with me. When I take a break for a few days, I usually come back stronger and more determined than ever. One day that may change, but it has been my pattern. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pattern doesn't have to change. You have the right attitude. A break is not a bad thing unless we let it be our undoing. Be well.

      Delete
  3. I really like your keys metaphor. I have actually had real life sets that have those 'extras' that don't belong to anything that I use and I did keep them around for way too long, afraid that one day they might be needed. How silly!
    I do genuinely try to learn from those around me by watching what works and doesn't in their lives and then I see what I can take for my own use. I used to worry a lot about making the same mistakes I have seen too many others make but I have realized that just because I was shown a certain way doesn't mean I have to take that route and thankfully I am very different from what my genetics might have dictated at one time. I tend to be appalled by most excuses and am definitely not a quitter. It's funny how opposite some of us can be from where we come from. Maybe I just got the bull-headedness to move in the right direction?!
    You seem to come from hearty stock. Or at least a line of common sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can learn from the mistakes of others - we don't have to make them all ourselves. I have made so many mistakes that I have plenty of material to draw upon for my posts! Take care.

      Delete