Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, April 22, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Got home and now I have to unpack all this stuff. I had a great time sewing for 4 days with the only interruptions being meals and going to quilt shops.

I told you about the junk food earlier. I only had some of it on Saturday evening. I had skipped supper because I wasn't hungry so that was a bad move on my part - when I was hungry the options were few. I watched the others as they ate and ate and then ate some more. The building where we ate our meals was not even 1/10 mile away. Guess which ones drove?

My friend that went with me is a registered nurse and I was telling her about low-carb and how cinnamon toast and French toast had been mentioned being served for breakfast and how I would just stay at the lodge and eat my protein bar for breakfast and she told me I could have cereal (???) instead. She told me about her allergies and how she wasn't supposed to have sugar, salt, peanuts, or dairy. Between meals she ate cookies, candy, and moon pies, whoopie pies, and more cookies. (???) She got a smoothie at McDonald's on the way home. She has a bad heart, a bad back, and has just had surgery on her shoulder. She is obese and getting obeser and obeser (I made that word up). Too bad our quilt retreat years will probably be cut short.

There were three morbidly obese women there who were really having trouble walking. They were very nice women. One talked to me about her conditions and how she wanted to get off of her prescription medicine. I told her how low-carb had worked for me. I showed her the herbal supplement I take for blood pressure, and told her how kelp had helped me clear up my thyroid problems. She then told me about cooking for her family and how they loved potatoes as though she would therefore have to eat them too. She was already defeating herself. She has fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, and osteoporosis. I forget if she was diabetic or not; I think she was. There were so many ailments among these obese women that I have lost track.

These gals ate junk, watched the clock for meal time, went to eat, came back for more junk, ate meal, ate junk, ate meal, ate more junk, went to bed. I would say of the 36 women there, maybe 8 were of normal weight.

The next retreat is in October. I am already registered for it and have paid as there is a waiting list. I really enjoyed it. In October I could very well be at my goal weight and enjoying maintenance. That's the plan.

10 comments:

  1. How sad, Myra! Maybe a conversation you had might result in at least on healthier journey for one of the ladies.

    And what a great goal - October & on Maintenance! Go, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There is none so blind as he who will not see." I don't know who said that but these sweet ladies who are morbidly obese are missing so much. They are so friendly but I know what's going on inside them. That outer person is hiding someone who has given up on herself. Hopefully things will change. Take care.

      Delete
  2. It is good you are aware of how to deal with your health. Unfortunate that we have to watch people we respect disrespect their health. I love reading how some bloggies have reversed their high cholesterol and high blood pressure stats. Even better to not have to take the meds. And there are so many who have no clue that they are insulin resistant, borderline diabetic by plain out not going to the doctor until it hurts bad.

    I imagine the day that I can jump and not feel the earth shake! There is a kiddy gate here that back in the day, I would hurdle it with out a thought. I want to do that again. Really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all must be vigilant to get this done. Life can get in the way but that's not a good excuse to abuse ourselves. I hope you are able to hurdle that kiddy gate soon. Take care.

      Delete
  3. IT's sad to talk to people that really need a change, but have no will or 'way' to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so appreciate your candor here. When I was heavier I actually did realize that I was hating on myself just as I had allowed others to do in the past. And I had quite deliberately surrounded myself with others who either did the same or at least had no expectations of me. Once I got rid of the weight it was as if a curtain had been moved to reveal reality and I just wanted so badly to share my message of health and a different light with others. I found that most did not want to hear what I had to say. It has been a bit of a tightrope walk to remain close to some of those people while realizing that they are just not there and don't want it. There is definitely a sadness for me that some relationships could not live through this change in me and some are strained. If we only knew how to turn on the switch that came on for ourselves in others... but then I don't think anyone could have done it for me until I was there in that moment. And I didn't even realize that moment had come until a few weeks later. Yes, what a change there would be for so many if there was less looking for magic and more seeking of the right moment (and how to help people get to that moment). Let's hope that you might trigger someone that you care about. We can only keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you noticed that when people ask you how you did it and you tell them, they immediately have a rebuttal that relates how they couldn't do it because (you fill it in)? I guess we were all there at one time or another and must keep on trying as you said. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I hear this a lot -- "Tell me what you did to lose weight. I will do anything." Then when I start on the exercising and eating right - I hear "I can't do that because........... I was hoping you just took a supplement or something."

      No, no supplements, no easy path. Just work.

      Delete
  5. I look back and wonder what someone could have told me to get me to lose weight when I was at my heaviest and I just don't have a good answer. It seems there are so many excuses to NOT lose weight, it's hard to listen to reasons WHY you should lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to get to the point where we are willing to do what we know to do in order to lose weight and we really have to want it. Until we are ready all the advice in the world will fall on deaf ears. Take care.

      Delete