Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, April 1, 2012

FYI

Some of you are so good with the pictures thing. It does make us more "real" when we know about others in a more personal way. I am going to try to give some background information on myself.

This is the flowering crab tree in our front yard. Our yard has been on two garden tours. Come visit and I will give you starts of many things - bring the truck. :-)


This is the arbor my son Isaac made for me that leads in to the rose garden.


I am all about rustic/primitive - this is my outhouse and oat drill yard art. The oat drill has a clematis planted on it and purple coneflowers around it. I also have an old manure spreader down back that I have filled with dirt and planted flowers in it and around it. I have two old hay wagons in the yard filled with large pots of flowers. I don't know when to quit.

These are the raised beds in the back yard. You can also see the long arbor Duane made out of wire mesh and railroad ties. I have climbing red roses on it. Beautiful display when they are blooming. You can also see to the right one of my wagons, the compost piles on back and the end of my clothes line. Duane used two posts and we put an old gate between them and I plant vines to climb there. Did I mention I don't know when to quit?


This is down by the road on one side of the lane. That's an old hay grabber suspended from a frame that Duane made. You can see the old iron fencing I picked up. I also love rocks in the yard to edge things. You can see the pot by the mailbox. I will be planting a vine there to vine around the mailbox.


This is the other side of the driveway. You can just barely see the other wagon I fill with large pots of flowers. I still have a lot of work to do in this area before too much longer.


This is Sergeant Major Baldwin "Sarge" - our sable registered German shepherd. 8 months old. Isn't he handsome?


This is our patio. We spend many hours here in the warm evenings. You can see the flag Duane made out of loaf pans he sprayed with Pam, filled with concrete, and then we painted them. You can see my greenhouse in the back that Duane made of recycled windows and other materials. I love it. We burn wood and you see we are ready for next winter.


This is niece Hailie's birthday present. I have talked about sewing and quilting before - my hobbies in addition to the yard/garden. Each doll dress is a pocket and it is a wall hanging for storing things. I made one for her younger sister Madison's first birthday and she wanted one as well. I have also made one for Sydney, another little girl in the family, and will have to make one for Kyra next. The one little boy, Colin, will get a coverlet that fits over a card table and makes a playhouse out of it. It will be cute - there is a door, windows, flowers along the side. I'll post a picture of it when I get it done.


This is the quilt I am making for a wedding in the family. It is one big honkin' quilt. It is sandwiched and ready to go. I do my own quilting. If you are an experienced quilter and would like the pattern, I will send it to you. It is not for beginners. It was a block of the month quilt so if you wanted to do one you could pace yourself a month at a time like I did. You would have to use your own fabrics. I would recommend choosing a line of fabrics so you would be sure the fabrics matched up but if you are an experienced quilter you could probably use your stash. It is beautiful but was difficult.


This is my brugmansia. I love house plants too.

This is just a little bit about me. I am getting better at this picture thing. Take care.

16 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for sharing Myra! I would love to see your gardens when they're in bloom. You have wonderful hobbies that I could only dream of:) So much talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can learn to quilt. Just find a local quilt shop and take some classes - that's what I did. I also joined a quilt group and learned a lot that way as well. Peak garden bloom is early July here so I will try and get some pictures posted at that time. If there are garden tours in your area, I recommend them highly - get out there and learn how to do these things if it interests you. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I need to come out and see your pretty yard, last time I was there nothing was blooming yet. You certainly got all the gardening talent in the family, I can't grow anything but dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can grow dust too. I have it arranged like I want it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My goal is to get a quilt in every home before I lose my ability (either mental or physical) to get them done. I have several years left to work on it. There always seems to be a wedding, graduation, baby, retirement, etc., so I am making progress! Take care.

      Delete
  4. Your quilts are BEAUTIFUL! Those were always my favorite gifts from grandma. I have every quilt she made me from the time I was a baby until recently. She can't make them anymore. they are SO special.

    Thanks for sharing your world with us. Your son and husband have helped create such a lovely world in your own yard. Plus with all your talents, I can't even begin to imagine what it's like when everything is in bloom. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is very gratifying to create quilts that I know will be cherished by the recipients just as you cherish the ones from your grandmother. I remember watching my grandmother sitting in front of that frame and hand quilting her work. She would rock that needle back and forth and then pull the needle through. With the wonderful machines available today quilts are stronger and more beautiful. You should learn the craft!! Take care.

      Delete
  5. Your yard and dog are beautiful and I am so in awe of your quilting! All beautiful things to be surrounded with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am truly blessed. Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. Forget where I heard that but I think of it often. Take care.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to see more of your surroundings Myra! You live in a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it is our little patch of the earth and we love it. It has taken lots of time and effort but we enjoy it. Take care.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing. You are obviously so creative and talented in many, many ways.
    Love that your wild garden and intricate quilts show how different your world is from my own surroundings and yet we so often see so eye to eye on so many things.
    I also love how much time and effort you are willing to spend on the things you love. It shows.
    Oh, and your dog is truly a handsome one. And I would never have even considered finding a way to 'decorate' the mail box. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten many ideas from going on Garden Tours and looking at magazines. I took classes at the local quilt shop and joined a quilt group. If it seems like something you would like to do find a way - you can make it happen. Take care.

      Delete
  8. I am THRILLED to know this "side" of you, Myra! Garden Tours are one of our favorite forms of entertainment! And I'm all about rustic and primitive. I enjoyed enlarging the pictures and touring YOUR garden. I'd love to sit on your patio with you some day and hear the stories of how it all evolved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local garden tour is the second weekend in July. I will be your personal tour guide if you want to come down. There is a little motel at the edge of town and you could come down on Friday night and do the tour on Saturday. We have an antique mall, an excellent potter in town, and an Amish store - you might have to stay two nights! Take care.

      Delete