Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 1 - HAWMC

That stands for Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge - I am committed to writing about health each day for 30 days on my blog. Today's topic is "Pretend you're making a time capsule of you and your health focus that won't be opened until 2112.What's in it? What would people think of it when they found it?"

In 100 years the people who open this will never have known me personally.

I have always thought of health as a three-legged stool - without all three legs, the stool will not stand. A weak leg will cause the stool to tip over causing problems for the other two legs. The other two legs depend on the one for stability and it doesn't matter which leg is weak, the stool will fall. The stool represents life and a balanced stool means happiness, peace, and contentment.

One leg is spiritual health. I would have a well-worn, written in, and underlined Bible. In my Bibles are notes about happenings in the family. Births, deaths, weddings, Nathan's deployments to Iraq, Isaac's scenic route to learning not to drink and drive, and other things as they happened. The people reading through that Bible will learn that we are pretty much average - the ups and downs - all of that. They will also be able to tell that I read and studied the Word. "In the beginning was the Word-" I hope that they understand that I was not perfect, just forgiven. One of the misunderstandings of those outside of Christ is this concept. They love to do the "hypocrite" thing. Yes, I am a hypocrite - everyone is. I have accepted Christ as my Savior so I can be forgiven - that's the difference. There is no forgiveness otherwise.

One leg is physical health. I suppose this is the focus of this question. I have kept journals at one time or another so one of those would depict the struggles I have had. Since I am making the capsule I would probably print out my blog and enclose it. I have covered about everything there. Maybe it could show someone a better way. We can learn from the mistakes of others. We don't have to make them all ourselves. I would enclose some of my favorite inspirational books. I have "Thoughts For Today" on my kindle. It's an Overeaters Anonymous collection of daily readings - it is very good and insightful. I would get a hard copy of that and enclose it.

One leg is emotional health. A picture is worth a thousand words so I would enclose pictures of family, my yard, and quilts I have made. Emotional health is demonstrated in service to others I believe. It takes our minds off of ourselves and our own problems. I need to get some pictures of nursing home visits with Sunday School classes, Quilts of Valor made for injured soldiers or the families of fallen soldiers - quilts for Birthright and Linus quilts. I give from each paycheck. It's important not to be so attached to our money. I know bills have to be paid. Giving is important. We need to help the less fortunate.

I don't want this to sound like I am tooting my own horn. It would be in my time capsule and no one would know what is in there until it is opened.

One regret I have is not doing more time capsules with my Sunday School classes. I did that one year and had my 3/4 graders write a letter to God and then on their graduation from high school, I took it to their graduation party and gave it to them. It was great. You could use a Pringle's can and do one with your own kids or kids you work with - the neighbor's kids or the friends of your own kids. When I was teaching it was a big deal for the Seniors to go back to an elementary teacher's room to get their time capsule and open it. They had put letters, pictures, examples of their work, prices of things at the time - you could get really creative with this project.

I guess that about covers it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment