Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, March 16, 2012

Wish Upon A Star

Susieannabella has an inspirational quote on her blog - "You can make a wish or you can make it happen".

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.

It would be nice if it was that easy wouldn't it?

Rabbit's foot.
Four leaf clover.
Find a penny, pick up, all the day you'll have good luck.

Are you superstitious?

Black cat walking in your path.
Walking under a ladder.
Breaking a mirror.

I have heard that athletes are very superstitious in general. They wear the same underwear for every competition or they have some ritual that they believe will bring them good luck.

We have some rituals as well. It is called the cycle of yo-yo dieting. Diet/Lose/Slip Up/Gain repeat. We also have some mental rituals when the going gets tough. I thought the tough got going at that point. Our overeater brains start thinking of eating and so there has to be a good excuse, a ritual, a slogan of some kind. We need to "get it out of our system" so we can start fresh. We can't just choose to eat, there has to be an excuse, a reason, a rationalization so our conscience doesn't suffer too much. We can then feel virtuous about "getting back on track".

OK so where's the good luck for weight loss? I haven't found it, have you? I still look for it at times and that would be when my weight goes in the wrong direction for the week (like this last one). I did not focus as I should have but wished for good luck yesterday at the scale (which showed a .5 gain) - lucky I didn't gain more than that :-)

We also get superstitious at times. What terrible things might befall us if we eat this or don't eat that? We could lose muscle; we could slow down our metabolism; we might get sick; somebody might be insulted if we don't join in the food fest; the food might spoil; the food might be wasted (there are starving kids in Africa for crying out loud); you get my point.

Have a great one.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting tie between rituals (which are a big part of obsessive-compulsive disorder) and the ritual rationalizations used when people "fall off the wagon" or slip up. I am also baffled by the feeling many describe of "missing out" that drives them to eat things they don't need or are going to send them "off track" and maybe to binge-land...like if you decline a slice of your co-worker's birthday cake you are "depriving yourself" of something? Like you might never have the chance to eat stale supermarket cake again, ever? The road to health is paved with self-laid traps, isn't it? You hit a nail on the head here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a big part of finally being successful is coming to terms with this. I know I have not even realized what I was doing at the time. I also think people who enable others don't realize what is happening. You probably did this back in the day. I know I have to fight it still. The path to finally getting the best of this is truly filled with potholes of our own making. As we overcome this in ourselves we can understand and help others see this as well. I always try to start by saying I know how it is because I have done the same things I am pointing out to others. I read my comments over and over before hitting that final keystroke because I want to help but not enable - there is a fine line there and when people cannot see the body language words can be misinterpreted and offense taken. Sometimes that will happen anyway but we have to try because we know the misery of the feeling of being trapped in this. You do this very well. You don't mince words and sometimes there can be a sting but it does cause people to think and hopefully see their way to success. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I firmly believe that it comes down to understanding what drives us personally to overeat or feel a loss of control around food; to understanding the non-hunger/non-survival reasons for eating and how to recognize when we're setting ourselves up for failure. Sure, I started and failed at "diets" or "weight loss" an easy dozen times -- because I hadn't yet figured out that I was using food as a drug (most importantly) and that I, as an otherwise fairly intelligent and very well-educated adult, did not understand basic nutrition and thought a lot of my poor food choices were "good." Once those two problems were addressed, success naturally followed.

      Delete
    3. We certainly have to find our way and some have more hurdles to overcome than others. In the end, we all have to do the same things to get the weight off and keep it off. We have to do the same things to keep off 5 pounds that we have to do to keep 205 pounds as well. Being informed and getting all the information we can as well as learning from our own mistakes and the mistakes of others will help us get there and stay there. I am losing my weight for the third time so I understand what people do to themselves. Sometimes we just can't figure out "why". Why can we want the weight off so badly and then do the very things to keep it from happening? How can something destructive have a stronger influence than wanting to be healthy and of a normal weight and size? We sacrifice the long term rewards for something immediate is all I can figure out but I still am working on that in myself. Even if I still struggle, I can still be successful with determination. Have a great day.

      Delete