Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, March 21, 2012

We Are Failures

Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker.
Failure is delay, not defeat.
It is a temporary detour, not a dead end.
Denis Waitley
American Author and Motivational Speaker



Everyone who reads this has been a failure. Some of us have been repeated failures. How do we deal with this common experience?


Each time we have failed we should have learned something. I am especially hard headed evidently because I have committed the same failures repeatedly. I must think it is fun or something.


I guess the only redeeming quality of this is I have kept coming back and trying again. I have only tried I guess. As Yoda said, "There is only do or do not, there is no try".  I did not "do", I only tried. I just kept delaying success.  Detour after detour. I never found the dead end try as I may because I  have kept coming back for more disappointment. I even took the same path over and over again.  What's up with that?


Isn't this an encouraging post? :-)


Success should be our teacher, not our enabler.
Success is a step forward,  not a step back.
Success can be permanent, not a temporary event.


Success can become a habit. It can be what we expect of ourselves. It can become so normal for us that failure is a thing of the past. I think that feels a lot better than failure. 


Let's determine that each night when we lay our heads down for a sweet sleep that we will be happy with the day. Have you ever tried to fall asleep and things are keeping you awake? It's often regrets and rehashing the shortcomings of the day. It doesn't have to be that way does it? Each time we eat something we make a choice. It is always a choice. It doesn't matter the situation - it's always a choice. We choose each day whether we will be able to fall asleep peacefully or not.


I like peacefully better. 


Take care.





12 comments:

  1. Oh! I like "peacefully" better, too! I'm not going to "try" anymore! Just "DO"!

    I HAVE been "DO-ing" since February 6. I'm determined not to give up though the immediate result (weight loss) is not as being realized as fast as I want. DO-ing is its own reward. The result is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it is a lifestyle change and is for life, the rate of loss isn't as important as sticking with it and tweaking what you are doing along the way. We all know what is holding us back I think so change what needs to be changed and go forward. Take care.

      Delete
  2. youre right.
    IT IS NOT A DEAD END.

    xo

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all had to find our way out of those cul-de-sacs in housing additions and find out how to get where we are going. The detour wasn't a dead end after all but taught us how NOT to get to where we wanted to go. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I would definitely like to fall asleep peacefully every night and when I'm eating poorly, I never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spend so much sleepless time in regrets over problems of our own making don't we? We know better when we are creating the problem. How many times have I laid awake berating myself for mindless things I have done? Too many to count. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Luckily, I sleep like a dead person. But I get what you're saying. I have a very hard time allowing myself to fail... and letting others see that. It's a performer/never let them see you sweat thing. And it's stupid.

    I feel like allowing myself to try something new or fail at something, gracefully or not, is essential to pulling myself out of an arrogant, judgmental place. Reminding myself that I am very human. That I can be humble. It's so important to keep in contact with that place in myself. It also helps remind myself of the potential inside me. Room for growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our "perfectionist" selves can keep us from learning and progressing. That part of us also gives us the all or none mindset that is so limiting to what we can become. It can be threatening to feel like we fall short but it can also be freeing to really live. Keep at it.

      Delete
  5. Love the quote; "There is only do or do not, there is no try".

    I want to get in the habit of being successful at weight loss...that little voice keeps telling me that I've failed before, I'll fail again, I'll never succeed...but I'm going to tell it to shut up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all failed many times and we have trouble trusting ourselves to do it right. If someone else made us a promise and then didn't keep that promise, we would find it hard to trust them the next time a promise was made. It's the same with our promises to ourselves. We are insecure about this. We also shouldn't listen to others when they tell us we can't do something, we want so badly; that little voice can be ignored as well. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this.
    This is so encouraging. Keep posting, am ur new follower.

    -Honeybee
    http://healthybeautifulblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog. I hope you find encouragement, conviction, and a new perspective as you work on your recovery. We all have our own path and that is different for each of us but we also have many things in common that we can share and work on as friends. Be careful out there.

      Delete