Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, March 17, 2012

Top O' the Mornin' to Ya!

I am going to plant peas today as that is a tradition for gardeners (I think). I have already planted potatoes, some green onions, some lettuce, and noticed while working in a raised bed yesterday that some lettuce is volunteering from last year. The rhubarb is coming up and the strawberries are perking up. I have been pulling up henbit by the bucket and there is much more to go.

I have Jazzercise this morning at 9 a.m. and will then be going to an Amish store close to Fountain City with my mother and sister. They make sandwiches there and when you tell them whether you want white or whole wheat bread they get a loaf of their home made bread and slice off two slices for the sandwich and put so much meat, cheese, and vegetables on it they have to press it down a bit to wrap it with saran wrap. The sandwich costs $3.

The Amish are big eaters. They also spend their days working hard - constantly busy. If you watch an Amish woman she always moves like she is in a hurry - this is normal for her. They don't use any buttons on their dresses which they make themselves. The dresses are fastened with straight pins. I guess buttons are considered adornment. They don't have mirrors as this is vain to them. Having no electricity in their homes means the "world" is kept out of their family time. Not a bad idea I say. We would howl to the moon without television, radio, computers, and the many other devices we hold dear. Sundays are sacred. This store we will be visiting will not be open tomorrow. It never will be.

I have never seen an obese Amish person. They don't have time for it. They eat big meals of home made food and then go out and tend their farms with horses. They travel by buggy and all the hubbub of this world that drives the rest of us crazy is lost on them. They have a sense of community. We don't even know our neighbors much.

The women don't wear make-up and the young girls who make our sandwiches look so fresh, clean, and innocent. They are courteous and show respect. There is no jewelry, piercings, tattoos, or any of the other things this world deems attractive. They don't need those things. They are content with how they are naturally.

We could learn a lot from the Amish.

6 comments:

  1. I agree... I really don't like how technology has this iron grip on us. But living out it now seems impossible. There are times when I say no internet... no tv... no cell phones... but I always cave and go back to it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuff we pump into our minds should scare us all. I can't watch TV; I don't like to watch people treating each other like that. It desensitizes us. After a while, the violence and promiscuity don't even both us anymore. Shouldn't it bother us? We hear news stories of children shooting another child and kids bringing weapons to school. It's not hard to figure out where they learned that and without much of a home life and parents who know how to parent, what can we expect? Take care.

      Delete
  2. Happy St. Patrick's Day! We certainly could learn a lot from the Amish. It's a religion/culture that I have always found fascinating. I live not too far from an Amish community, but they are not as traditional. Although their clothing is traditional, they live in homes with electricity and I have seen a car or two in Amish garages. I've always wanted to visit Pennsylvania and visit an Amish farmer's market. It would be interesting to see the differences and the similarities between Pennsylvania Amish and Ontario Amish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are different sects of Amish. There is a group called Dunkards as well I think. There is also the Brethren. I am going to do a little research on these most interesting people. I see them out in their buggies in all kids of weather. They have been a rich addition to our community. The men are not allowed to grow a beard until they are married and I think there is some symbolism in their blue and black clothing. Hope you have recovered from your recent encounter with on-line bullying and Al's retort. What a hoot that was. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I ate at a wonderful Amish smorgasbord once and couldn't believe how different the food tasted. It was insanely tasty. They grew all their own stuff including the meat. Even made their own soda drinks, including Birch Beer. Very fond memory...

    Sometimes I feel a little out of the loop as I strive to make my life as calm and even as possible. But then I realize how much I am really enjoying the difference. Things that make me crazy are evaluated and then mostly tossed. It is like a gift I give to myself and the people who don't get it or give me a hard time for the things I like to spend my time on are not really missed in my life these days. ;)

    I'm a natural fast mover too. I've heard that people who do that live the longest... Maybe I'm a little bit Amish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those women know how to cook don't they? They are probably the first organic gardeners. Their days are spent close to their families - no loud, abusive music or vegging in front of a television or computer. They are doing in right. We are the ones with the problems. It would be good if you were a little bit Amish! Take care.

      Delete