Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, March 1, 2012

Self-Sabotage

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201101/self-sabotage-and-your-outer-child-pt-4-the-logical-illogic-the-psych

This is a very interesting article. There are references to some books some of us self-sabotagers  may want to read in order to try and get to the bottom of why we do these things.

I also read up a little on addiction. I always thought addiction was when the body got so dependent on a substance that it had to have it or die without it. That's why I was suspicious of a sugar addiction as so many have reported. One article I read described an addiction as something we do even with the knowledge of it's destructive results on the body. That would describe a sugar addiction. People with this addiction will eat sugar even in the face of the knowledge of what it is doing to them. I also think it would be difficult to gradually come off of it - cold turkey would be the way to go.

This also explains the way I felt the other day after eating two of my home made chocolate chip cookies the day before. I noticed the next morning that my hunger felt different. It was more of a gnawing, sharp, craving hunger and I was somewhat puzzled that hunger felt different. I went about my usual morning routine and while in the car on the route it hit me about the two cookies I had eaten the day before. Light bulb moment.

Hunger feels different on low-carb for me. It is more of an empty, hollow feeling as I wait to growl. After those two cookies, it was a craving, gnawing hunger. I don't want any more of that.

My March Madness Challenge starts today. We report our weights today, decide on a motivational book to read, tell me what your weight loss goal is for the month (mine is 5 lb.), exercise 3 - 5 times a week, and drink 64 oz. of water per day. I have a spreadsheet with everybody's information including email address and blog address.We will report each day concerning water and exercise. This will be followed by the April Fool Challenge, the May Flowers Challenge, and the June Bug Challenge - a potential 20 lb. loss. Let me know at myrabaldwin@netzero.net if you would like to join us. You will receive an email each day with everyone's progress on the spreadsheet.

8 comments:

  1. I completely relate to how you described hunger on low carb vs the other. I am like that too. I learned a few years back on the Atkins diet that I was very sensitive to sugar and white flour. Basically if it's in my system I am completely lost to the world b/c I will crave like crazy. When I'm off of it the hunger is not as profound. thanks for the article!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunger is not pleasant in the first place and to make it worse by eating sugar is asking for trouble.

      Delete
  2. I agree. I find when I'm eating well (healthily) I feel so awesome & cravings are very minimal. But when I get sidetracked, one craving becomes bigger & bigger and almost insatiable! And I don't feel half as well.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That craving feeling can snowball on us can't it? We used to have donuts at school and if I had one of those first thing in the morning I was hungry the rest of the day and nothing satisfied.

      Delete
  3. Great post that I can relate to. If I have any sugar, I crave like crazy the next day. I'm not a big sweets person - it's the higher carb foods that get me. I'm on Jenny Craig right now and I'm struggling because they include pasta, rice and potatoes in their food. I've tried to explain to her I need to eat more protein to stay satisfied but she doesn't seem to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advice is to get off Jenny Craig. You can be much more successful making your own rules and not eating processed food. Low carb works best for me for the very reasons we have been talking about. Behavior changes are the most important part of losing weight and keeping it off in my opinion. Exercising, drinking water, and eating slowly will all go a long way toward helping you reach your goals. Be well and welcome to my blog.

      Delete
  4. In my own way, I'm participating in your March Madness Challenge. But because I have several irons in several fires, I'll just try to take care of those before picking up another "iron". It sounds like a GREAT and very do-able challenge. I, too, am planning & behaving so as to report a 5 pound loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Rebecca! Just let me know if you want on the spreadsheet and update with everyone's water intake, exercise, and weekly weight. I attach it to an email each day. It has everyone's blog address and email address as well. We are also each reading a motivation book. Let me know if you want to make it official.

      Delete