Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Attitude

I ate a piece of cake last night.

This is not something to brag about at all. I chose to have it after thinking it through. I was at a dinner and decided to have dessert. I know it may slow me down a bit but in the event I gain 2 pounds when I weigh in on Thursday I am not going to blame it on one small (I chose the smallest piece that was available) piece of cake. You know how some will have a pretty substantial gain and admit they had one small piece of cake so that must be it? Who do they think they are kidding?

The great thing is I did not come home and binge. My old attitude would have been "I've blown it so might as well eat all I want tonight because tomorrow it's back on track for me." Today is my usual routine again. I had a Raisin Bran muffin for breakfast before going to Bible Study Fellowship. This is a great recipe. It uses an entire box of Raisin Bran. I substitute whole wheat flour for the white flower and use Stevia in the Raw for all of the sugar. Those two things alone make them a much better food - substitute some good carbs for bad ones and eliminate most of the refined sugar although there is some in the Raisin Bran cereal I am sure. I am going to look in the health food store for a better alternative to the national brand of the cereal and will probably have an even better breakfast muffin. I add lots of walnuts to the recipe and use eggs from the farm from real chickens that are down on the ground and free range like they should be. They are not fed the feed with the hormones and GMO's and all that. Norma of Welcome to my World talks about quinoa flakes - I'm thinking I could use those and add my own raisins. I have never seen quinoa flakes but have never looked for them either. I have noticed almond flour is available so that may be something else I try in this recipe. I add lots of cinnamon and my home made vanilla extract. They are really good. I use real butter in them but I have also read that applesauce can be substituted for half the fat. The recipe makes over three dozen muffins that freeze beautifully so I figure those butter fat grams are spread over quite a few servings. The applesauce would cut that in half so there's a thought as well.

For lunch it was chicken salad on some Wasa crackers (low carb), some red/yellow/orange bell pepper strips, and an orange for dessert.

I am thinking of a baked sweet potato for supper with some cottage cheese and maybe a small salad. I have a bowl of fruit mixed up (fresh pineapple, mango, peaches, green grapes) for dessert.

I was considering doing a 30 - day challenge that eliminates all dairy and grains for a month. It is sounding less and less appealing so I am going to decide against it. I eat little dairy as it is but I do enjoy half/half in my morning coffee and almond milk just doesn't do it. I need to try to develop a taste for black coffee. I have cottage cheese once or twice a week. I like yogurt every now and then as well. I will say that I don't eat cheese now as I was thinking about the challenge and started weaning myself off of cheese. I really can't say that I miss cheese.

I have found a sprouted grains bread I like and have switched from peanut butter to the almond butters. I did find an almond butter at the Amish store that only had almonds listed as the ingredient so I will be getting some of that.

I have read my package of Stevia in the Raw and it seems to be just Stevia without all the chemical processes used for Splenda or the additives. I guess I am just not ready for such a "stark" eating plan.

Anyway - you were probably ready for a break from all my sermons. Be careful out there today.

8 comments:

  1. I like that you cut yourself some slack, but didn't lose it. That's a big deal. Seriously. Lots of people can't do that and it's too bad because moderation feels really, really good. Nice and normal you might say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to know ourselves and our limitations. It really is a big deal to have a piece of cake and not associate all kinds of emotions to it. We are pretty awesome don't you think? Take care.

      Delete
  2. Yeah it's blue skies and sunshine today. Great post. I am re-thinking things I have been thinking about lately lol. And my attitude is one of those things. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so proud of you for the progress you have made. All success starts with our attitudes and our minds. We can be our own worst enemies and play games with this without even realizing it. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I'm a dairy addict. Cheese mainly. That's going to be my mini challenge next week. No cheese/dairy. Not forever, but to prove to myself that I can do it - I think the calcium in those things is very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dairy is not the only source of calcium. I think broccoli is pretty high in it. You could probably do a Google search and find out foods other than dairy that are high in calcium. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Myra, good call. You thought about it, decided you could handle it, ate a normal sized serving of an indulgent food, enjoyed it, responded to it normally and were done with it. That in itself is a success. And you are right -- the "dieters" who blame their gain on a few bites of a non-diet-ish food are off base...if we eat well 3 meals/3 snacks a day, 6 days a week and one day we have that indulgence -- whatever we choose, a pasta dish, a dessert, pancakes -- it should be no more than a blip on the scale's radar; maybe a small water retention gain the next day but that should level out in two days and start going down (if we're on calories to lose) or back to "maintenance" weight. So I'm glad you had your cake & ate it too. :) And if churches actually had "sermons" like yours (I don't think you're preachy), I bet more people would listen rather than space out! Have a great Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is truly one of the greatest parts of the recovery - separating food from emotions. I just have to decide if I am in the right frame of mind for a piece of cake, if I will feel like I "missed out" and then try to make up for it later, or just don't want the cake because I would rather forego those calories and the sugar especially. Be careful out there today.

      Delete