Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Michael Moore

Do you take Michael Moore seriously?

When you first viewed this picture what were your first thoughts? I want your honest answer.

I have been mulling this post over in my mind because I have looked like Michael Moore does. At 250 lb. I was treated like I didn't have any feelings and wasn't taken seriously because of my appearance. I commented on the blog of someone the other day who was relating how she was treated during a job interview. I told her she probably wouldn't have been treated so inconsiderately had she been of a normal size. She also did not speak up for herself as she should have. I wouldn't have either. We internalize so much and then try to eat it away.

This is also why so many of us have trouble becoming a different person through weight loss. It's new territory and being insignificant has its perks. Nothing much is expected of us. People aren't watching to see if we gain the weight back. We don't have to compete with others for jobs, dates, or appearance.  So you see, it's not all bad. It's not very good either. What do we dream about in the privacy of our thoughts? Do we imagine being on stage? Do we imagine sexy people paying attention to us? Do we dream of being athletic? Sure we do.

Let's dream dreams that we can make come true. We can reach our goal weight. We can be in charge of what we eat. We can wear nice clothes. We can NOT look like Michael Moore. Regardless of whether it is fair or not, we are judged by our appearance. We do it ourselves. We are all affected by the appearance of others. It's just the way it is.

Take care.

4 comments:

  1. To be honest I don't take Michael Moore seriously because he is mean and rude and just plain wrong about everything (in my humble opinion). But yes, the fact that he is sloppy and unfit makes it easier to dismiss him. I think it is the combination of his physical condition WITH the mean and hurtful.
    In my life and family fat is much more normal than thin and thin people are hated and talked about behind their backs. I associated nice plump women with being nurturing for a very long time.
    That made it especially hard when I finally got my own weight off. I have been called judgmental and cold by family who don't like the way I don't take their crap any more and being thin now makes that an easier judgement for those people to make I think.
    At the same time random public experiences are also strange now as people offer me help all the time as if I am some weakling woman- which I am not. I am also constantly told how young I look for my age. Yes indeed physical appearance can certainly change things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to keep politics out of it but I do not agree with him either. People will turn the heat up on you if you succeed at health and appearance - they look bad by comparison. I am glad you are comfortable with who you are and can deal with such a family. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I don't care much for Michael Moore or his politics....but you have a point.

    I also don't care for the politics of Al Sharpton, but when I disagree with him, I don't toss in his weight as part of a descriptor.

    So, just because Moore is heavy, that has to come into play? That's not right.

    Like or don't like the man, but we should be at tie that into what he does and says, not how he looks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a perfect world, appearance wouldn't matter, but this is not the case. Everyone who sees Michael Moore will notice his obesity. Everyone who sees Al Sharpton will notice he is black. Overall we have become pretty shallow. Don't judge a book by its cover sounds good but isn't real life. I like to think I get past a person's looks and that I don't use appearance as a descriptor but it is almost automatic to some extent. I work on that all the time. Take care.

      Delete