Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, March 4, 2012

Laziness

***"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active.  The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- John Philpot Curran: Speech upon the Right of Election, 1790. (Speeches. Dublin, 1808.)


Thought I would expand upon this from my sister's blog: jensgyrations.blogspot.com


This is a political statement but has relevance for us in our quest for weight loss and maintenance.  I am basically a lazy person. Movement is not a natural state for me. I must work at being occupied, productive, and "engaged". Without eternal vigilance, I could very easily weigh 250 lb. again. I would be at the mercy of my appetites and my punishment would be living at the altar of food/eating.


Are we tired of watching the active people succeed? Those people who can't sit still and go for it on a daily basis seem to get so much more out of life - reality check - they do. I have resented those people for their seeming indifference to the things that my life has revolved around. Why should I resent them when they are doing it right and I am on the couch?


Many of us are trying to create new habits - things which come naturally to the forever slim. Many have accepted the fact that this is their lot in life. I know I have. I have found what fits my personality for exercise. I have found an eating plan that works for me.


Friday night I went to a performance which included a buffet dinner. I had lots of salad, baked fish, and green beans. I did not have the mashed potatoes, the bread, or the dessert. I did have a margarita and then had coffee. I went to Jazzercise on Saturday morning and two of my friends who went to the performance with me and had all the carbs weren't in very good shape. One of them was late because she had woken up with diarrhea. The other was lamenting eating too much and then going to bed. I felt great. It wasn't hard at all to pass up the carbs. Being off the carbs for so long has made me somewhat indifferent to them. I don't crave them anymore. It's great. There are donuts and pie in the kitchen right now and I am not tempted. It's great. I exercised this morning and have my 64 oz. of water down. Those two things are great as well.


I hope you are doing great too.

4 comments:

  1. You write TRUTH here, my friend!

    You are doing great with your personal habits of health & wellness! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming to terms with our truth is key to long term success. Being ever vigilant about food, exercise, and water must be done and we have to embrace the concepts of abstinence and self-control. Have a blessed Sunday.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that the carb cravings are subsiding for you!

    I confess... I am such a lazy person. Less than resenting thin people, I experience envy and amazement that people live so actively and don't think about how much they do in a day. It's very easy for me to get overwhelmed when someone says "let's go camping" I immediately think of the hard work it is to pack the car, pitch the tent, build the fires and use the bathroom outdoors, instead of thinking - man! That would be so fun!

    I suppose that just like changing my thought patterns about food and exercise... changing my thought patterns about laziness is in progress too. :)

    Great thoughtful post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the weight comes off and we aren't hauling so many extra pounds around with us there should be more energy to spend on other activities besides just getting from one place to another slowly. This weight gets in our way and keeps us from keeping up. This will improve as the pounds go away.

      Delete