Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, March 23, 2012

How to Eat an Elephant

You see, what I had to remind myself was that what might at first appear as an overwhelming task, or something I couldn't see myself doing, would be resolved by simply taking one step at a time, or one action at a time, over and over again. 

Projects, problems, or one's own need to learn a new job or career skill has the same application. Every difficult goal that, at first, may be viewed as an insurmountable obstacle can be resolved when you implement a strategy that requires only one-step at a time. Each action taken moves you forward, continuous progress is seen, and the final goal is closer and closer until it is accomplished.  (read the whole story at jensgyrations.blogspot.com)

Those who have a lot to lose get overwhelmed sometimes I think. Thinking of how long it will take at X pounds per month can look discouraging. Al has a good challenge going by having people eat the calories that they will be consuming at their goal weights. The water has to become second nature as does the exercise. The level of eating has to be accepted as a part of life as well. Challengers have to meet a daily goal and that is all that is important. If we drink the water, get in some activity, and stay at or beneath our calorie cap who cares how long it takes? It is easy to look at that calorie limit and think "That's all I get?" when if we would take the time to prepare tasty food with lots of vegetables and fruit for dessert we might think, "I get to eat all that?" I used to fall in a rut by not taking the time to make attractive meals. It was too easy to get out the cottage cheese. I didn't stay with it.

We all know how to eat an elephant - one bite at a time. This works for any task that seems huge. When I mowed yard I would mow off a chunk and when that was done I had reached a goal which made it easier to progress to the next chunk and then the yard was done. I needed to get a pair of slacks done once that I had stopped sewing on but really wanted to wear them. I think they just needed the zipper, waistband, and hemmed. I set the timer on the stove and the deal was I would work on the slacks until the timer went off. It didn't take me long to finish them doing it like that. My students used to tell me about novels they had been assigned to read. I told them to take the total number of pages and divide that by the days they had to get the novel done. They then knew how many pages per day that would get them done with the novel on time. At Weight Watchers my goals were the upper part of the digit, then the lower part of the digit, and then the next lower digit. It helped keep me going.

Let's not look at our total desired weight loss but rather making each day a success. The weight will come off and the goal will be reached one day at a time. Do you have any goals that represent one bite of the elephant at a time?

6 comments:

  1. One bite at a time, one step at a time. I feel like my road in front of me can be a bit overwhelming, but like in any other journey I know I'll get there if I just keep walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we take it one day at a time. It's not so overwhelming if we concentrate on making today a success and not look at how far we have to go. This is for life not just until the weight is off. Take care.

      Delete
  2. One of my goals is to finish my degree. Sort of a one bite at a time thing (studying part-time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep plugging along and it will happen and when you do get there you will say, "Well, that wasn't so bad now was it?" Take care.

      Delete
  3. The best and only way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Put the total desired loss out of mind and concentrate on today and making it successful. Time flies. I remember how my sons looked when they were brought to me after they were born. They are now 35 and 33 - where has the time gone? Take care.

      Delete