Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, March 26, 2012

How Clever Are We?

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. Oscar Wilde

We know all the right words to say don't we? We can give advice at the drop of a hat. Do we take our own advice? I am much better at giving advice than taking it.

We tell other people not to worry about one mistake or get back up and start again or drink extra water or get more exercise - is that what we do ourselves? Often we try to make people feel better then mope around ourselves when we aren't perfect.

What if we gathered up all our comments on the blogs of others, analyzed them, and determine if we would be encouraged if we received those same words. When we are in control of ourselves it is easy to give some tough love or point out the shortcomings of someone else. When we are slipping up it is easy to commiserate, understand, and say it's OK - not much damage was done.

Do you formulate your comments based on what you think the person needs right then? I have read the blogs of some very nice people who are truly reaching out. Do you formulate your comments based on how you are doing at the time? I think I find it easier to give advice when I am doing well. I find it easier to commiserate when I am not doing so well.

When we are at the top of our game we need to always remember how quickly we can fall. Those of us in the downward part of the cycle can remember how it was when everything seemed to be going our way. We thought we would never fall again.Guess what? We did. As we become a different person there is that pushback from our old self who will not give up without a fight. We are too easily beaten down by the old self who does not want to die. We run to that person when things get hard rather than looking to the new person we want to be to get the vision again. Can we be comfortable with being that new person? Only time will tell.

6 comments:

  1. For me, I've had hard struggles, easy times and fun times. The main thing is, I just have to keep going no matter what's going on. Even with month after month of plateaus and frustration. I just kept pushing toward my goals. The longer I keep at it, I learn more about myself. I'm learning how to figure out what's going on quickly and stop bad behavior before it gets out of hand. That's why I say focus all the time. It's the only thing that has kept me going!

    Stay focused!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be SO worth it. As I read your blog I can already tell that you are getting it together. I know of only one perfect person and it wasn't you or me. We cannot use that as an excuse however. Staying focused and being aware of the tendency to play games and nipping in the bud as they say is key to our long-term success. You will be successful because you want it so badly - I can tell. Be well.

      Delete
  2. Myra...really? How do you always manage to live in my head?

    After a roller coaster week, I'm left today drained, empty of motivation, ready to quit. But then I come here and get reminded to listen to my own advice.

    What would I say to someone else in my spot now? Why not follow THAT advice rather than the voice in my head that loves to see what drama and pain it can cause?

    Thanks my friend...thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God works in mysterious ways, does He not? You absolutely, positively cannot quit. That would accomplish nothing but adding more problems - don't you have enough problems already? You and I both know you don't want to quit; you want to be successful and you will be. You have had a difficult week but have many reasons to celebrate health and to take care of the body that God has given you. Build it; don't abuse it. Be well.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm still caring for grandkids, so my time is very limited for commenting and writing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy those grandkids! We will be looking forward to an update in the not too distant future. Take care.

      Delete