Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, March 30, 2012

Diseased?

***What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease. ~~ George Dennison Prentice

My sister probably knew I would swipe this so I won't disappoint her. Please read her blog today. She has some very interesting facts there  www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

I had never associated diet with disease. A chronic disease is something we have to live with. It can hasten our death. A diet really is just a plan of eating. It could be argued that many have no plan at all - they react instinctively to eating cues other than true physical hunger. You and I already know the list.

We don't have to live with this disease called die with a "t". I have been anxious many times over eating/not eating/how much to eat/when to stop eating/what to eat/on and on and on. I was making a career out of diet. I would have a Ph.D. in killing myself - Dr. Myra Baldwin, Ph.D.D. - a doctor of philosophy in diet - R.I.P. She ate herself to death.

There are many diseases that can be cured and won't cost us anything - no doctor visits, no prescriptions - just our own effort. How neat is that? The money we were spending on junk food, doctor visits, and prescriptions can now be used to buy healthy food and a gym membership. Heck - we wouldn't even need the gym membership - just a good pair of shoes for exercising on our own.

I weighed 192 this morning. I weighed 198 at the beginning of March and my goal was a 5 lb. loss. My goal for April will be 5 lb. as well. I will be in the next lower digit - I haven't seen the 180's in a couple decades or so. My eating plan is my own based on information concerning health and wellness. My recovery has been long and arduous and many of you are somewhere on your own recovery plan. The hardest part is the mental/emotional part for sure. Would you agree? Have a wonderful, successful, and controlled day.

9 comments:

  1. GREAT! And keep it going! The mental/emotional part is key; without that figured out or at least acknowledged, reverting to old habits is pretty much guaranteed. And it *is* the harder part for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It feels so good to be making progress physically and emotionally. I like it a lot. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Myra, way to go! I've lost 10 lbs in the last month by simply cutting out what little sugar I was eating, and watching carbs more closely. I'm living proof that counting calories isn't the magic bullet for everyone. WHAT I eat is the most important thing. I was eating about 1400 calories a day and not losing anything. Granted, I think my Roux-en-Y has a lot to do with that; after losing 140 lbs my body decided that was enough! Like you have said time and time again, you just gotta find what works for you. Congratulations on almost being in the 180s! That's gotta feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Yup. Now that you are finding the way for you, things will start happening again. We must keep tweaking things and not give up until we find our own answers. Have fun today visiting Aunt Tootsie!

      Delete
  3. Hurrah for the loss! That's so great to see a smaller number. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am getting pretty excited about the 180's for sure. Remember that "expectations" things we discussed? How about you and me agreeing to post on that topic on the same day and we can compare each other's perspective and so can other bloggers. We can put a link in our blog post to each other so people can read both of our thoughts. What do you think?

      Delete
  4. 'Successful and controlled'- sounds like moderation to me. You already know that's what I pretty much think this whole diet thing comes down to. At least, people who find moderation seem the happiest passengers on the diet train to me.... I never want to be tied down to a diet like I once was to emotional eating.

    Now on to your loss- Holy Cow! :) :) :) You've done great. I think your goals are wonderful and obviously working for you so that's what matters. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in no great hurry and eating things we like in small amounts seems best. I have, however, found that the things I want now are the healthy, low carb things. I feel so much better without the carbs that I don't want them. Sweets no longer tempt me and I haven't missed bread or potatoes. I do eat sweet potatoes and have found a low carb, gluten free bread I like. It's all about choices. Take care.

      Delete
  5. I love the quote.

    Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete