Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Can I Be Happy AND Fat?

Maren has some excellent thoughts on this topic. She is happy while still having weight to lose. Is that possible? It is possible to be happy as we go in positive directions with our weight and fitness. Progress is so encouraging.

I remember my mother-in-law joining Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time and immediately start complaining about the rate of loss. She was losing and eating well but it wasn't good enough or fast enough. She would go exercise for a week or two and then that didn't suit her as well. It wasn't long before Weight Watchers "didn't work for her" (that's another post) and she quit.

We can be happy while working on the weight. We can feel good about what we are able to do - in Maren's case it is hiking. For me it is endurance in aerobics and Jazzercise and being able to lift heavier weights. I am happy about those things and I still have about 40 - 50 lb. to lose.

We can be one of those people who aren't happy no matter what. I read about someone's mother who is miserable over her weight - not happy about getting it together and not only is she unhappy she doesn't want her daughter to be happy and successful losing weight as well.

Once that final decision and commitment is made - we are slim-minded and we just have to wait on our bodies to catch up. We can be happy along the way. We don't have to wait to get to our goal weights to be happy. We can be happy NOW. We are slim NOW. As we continue to act like a slim and happy person everything will come together for the reality that is our dream come true and we made it happen - we ARE making it happen.

Don't let unhappy, fat people steal your dream. You are the one doing it right. Take care and thanks Maren for such an uplifting and inspiring post.

20 comments:

  1. "Slim-minded". Another great word to contemplate and incorporate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mind is a powerful thing. We need to get our insides slim and then our outsides will follow. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I woke up today with this very thought and came to a good point. I am beautiful at 175, I was beautiful at 258, I will be beautiful no matter what the number on the scale is because what is on the inside, how I choose to look at RIGHT NOW is the only thing that matters.

    hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our self-image causes us to act as we perceive ourselves. Beautiful people don't abuse themselves with food and sedentary ways. We are slim right now aren't we? As we act that way, we will eventually be that way.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am "slim-minded."

      May have to 'borrow' that phrase!

      Delete
  3. Agreed. Happiness is a choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy people are fun to be around. we have so much to be thankful for and as we pursue our dreams and don't give them up for anything the happiness will be a way of life. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Those crazy mothers! I'm pretty sure that's my mom you're talking about up there. It's really pretty sad because you think your mom, of all people, is going to be supportive of something that makes you healthier and happier. Sometimes you just have to ignore people and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to overcome the influence of someone who has shaped your personality from birth. You are going to have to resist the temptation to fall into her patterns. I know you can. Be well.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your thoughts Myra, I really really appreciate it. It is so very important to be able to find happiness and pride in the things we accomplish, rather than just feeling miserable about the status.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave me an idea that came to me earlier today. What if we took turns choosing a topic and everybody who wanted to would post their thoughts on that topic and we could see how everyone approached the subject matter. We would agree on a date to put our posts up so that we couldn't read what each other wrote beforehand. It might be fun!

      Delete
  6. This is something we talk a LOT about in the arts... One must enjoy the practice as well as the performance or one will spend the majority of the time miserable. Eating right and exercising can be challenging AND fun... not just something to endure until we're thin - because if we haven't learned to be happy by then, the problem isn't weight, but attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great post topic Nanette - why don't you expand on that? I would love to read it.

      Delete
  7. We should be happy with what we do along the way. Every healthy choice we make over a slice of cake, every bit of exercise we do should make us happy not just the weight loss.

    Weight loss takes time but that doesn't mean that in the whole time you are losing weight that you can't be happy. I started my journey in 2009, it's 2012 now and I'm still on my journey but does that mean I have been miserable for three years? No of course not. I've had happy moments and unhappy moments like everyone else.

    Yes, being overweight or 'fat' makes you unhappy but it isn't the only thing that can make you unhappy.

    I think we forget that slim people can be unhappy as well. They can have problems too. I think we sometimes think that being thin will solve all of our problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. We tend to think that people without a weight problem have no problems at all and that just isn't true. I read the comments of a slim adult person who was offended about how she was teased about being slim. Adults don't treat obese adults that way for the most past. If we are doing things right, we should be happy for sure. Take care.

      Delete
  8. You seem to touch on so many aspects of this weight thing that have touched my life. My mother used to end each of her crazy diet attempts by saying that she'd rather be fat and happy than have to be so miserable while on a diet. Yeah, she really doesn't get it all... So amazing what passes as happy to some people.
    I do think that you can be happy during the process. It's a choice like anything else. Even when we think we don't have a choice- most of the time we actually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't sound like your mother was happy whether she was dieting or not. She was miserable fat and she would have miserable slim as well. Unhappiness is a habit as well. Take care.

      Delete
  9. A positive attitude makes everything that much easier to do.

    ReplyDelete