Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, March 22, 2012

Can Food Be Therapeutic?

ther·a·py - from Dictionary.com


[ther-uh-pee] Show IPA
noun, plural -pies.
1.
the treatment of disease or disorders, as by some remedial, rehabilitating, or curative process: speech therapy.
2.
a curative power or quality.
4.
any act, hobby, task, program, etc., that relieves tension.

Is obesity a disease or a disorder? Most of us would probably agree that it is a disorder. What treatments are there for such a disorder? Would those treatments then be considered therapeutic? Is obesity the real problem?

I have heard people say that physical therapy is painful. Is obesity therapy painful?

Is there a cure for this disorder? Of course - we don't like the medicine however.

#4 is interesting - therapy is something that relieves tension.

Can the same food that created the symptoms of this disorder be a part of the cure? Some foods have had to go forever for some of us. We must learn to enjoy and eat different foods. Some of us can have a piece of cake and not go off the deep end; some of us cannot. It is what it is. Nobody has ever died from lack of cake I am pretty sure. Obesity is really a symptom not the disorder itself. We have often treated the symptoms without getting to the illness. This is why the mail-order diet foods won't work. The food isn't the problem. It's like going to the doctor with a broken leg and he/she prescribes insulin. We have to be our own physician. Sean Anderson is a perfect example of someone who finally got it. He was 505 lb. I believe when he decided to take matters into his own hands. You might want to pick up a copy of his book, Transformation Road. 


In "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" the main character had a skin condition that cleared up when he started juicing, exercising, and taking care of himself.


I have seen lists of super foods -  here's one - http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/10-everyday-super-foods?page=2


Have any of you experienced a condition that cleared up or greatly improved when you started eating in a more healthy manner?

4 comments:

  1. The minute I give up things like cookies and things along those lines...therefore eating less sugar, my skin becomes really good looking lol. I notice the difference because the difference is quite big. I might of seen it on Dr Oz that sugar ages the skin. I don't know if that's true, but I know the less sugar I eat the better my skin looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good enough for me. Giving up sugar has so many benefits. I just feel better. Take care.

      Delete
  2. My stomach! My bowels! When I cleaned up my diet, my stomach cleaned up too, and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the parts just seem to work better don't they? Take care.

      Delete