Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, March 18, 2012

Amish Information

http://christianity.about.com/od/Amish-Religion/a/Amish-Beliefs.htm

I had a thought on the way to the Amish grocery store yesterday. I doubt that the Amish care about how many carbs they eat or fat grams or if they should cut out grains and dairy from their diets. I can't imagine any of them planning out meals and I have never seen them at the gym or in any of my step aerobics or Jazzercise classes. Amish women probably don't fret about how their hair looks or if their butts look fat. They don't count the ounces of water they drink each day either. They don't weigh and measure their food and I doubt they have ever heard of BMR or BMI and probably don't consult height and weight charts. They don't walk around with ear buds in and checking their email on their smartphones. I have noticed that my Step Aerobics instructor cannot stand for it to be quiet. If it is she will start asking about the weather or ask what was in the paper that she didn't get to read. She will ask about what people are having for supper or whatever else she can think of. Why can't we stand for it to be quiet and still?

I would freak out if a buggy full of Amish women showed up at Jazzercise. They don't have time for it anyway. They work hard all day, eat full meals that we would probably analyze and dissect followed by head shaking and  wonderment over how they can eat like that. Hasn't anyone told them the dangers of cholesterol and carbs for crying out loud?

I have read some stories about longevity and where these people who live to be over 100 live. It seems they live in areas that are unpolluted, worked hard all their lives, and had a positive attitude. They were faithful people as well.

Are we making this too hard?

6 comments:

  1. I am turning the button off on my cell, computer and Kindle more often lately. I find that I need some peace and quiet in my life!! It's not a bad thing!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peacefulness is wonderful. So many of us have to have some kind of noise. I love quiet. The main reason I don't want one of these fancy phones is that these electronic gadgets take over your life. People have become so rude using those things when in the presence of others. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Maybe we are. It seems that things were a lot easier back in the day when everyone lived like the Amish, although I suspect they had their difficulties and struggles as well. Life is never perfect, no matter what you have or don't have. We just have to make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I have never heard of divorce in the Amish community or battering. Their way of life is focused on the family. I am sure they have troubles but they go on. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have certainly taken notice that with every 'upgrade' there are extra this's and that's that cost more money and take more time to go along with it. Seems like craziness to me. I have an old tube TV, a cell phone that is 6 years old and one 5 year old laptop. That's plenty for me.
    I still find myself thinking the Amish probably have it better than I in some ways. But I am happy with the balance I have found in the last few years. I usually have some form of travel to look forward to, I cook at home, work part time, stay out of 'social' media and have banned chaos from my life. You can find a balance if you try and it IS worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applaud you for this. All this electronic stuff takes us away from the things that are really important. Take care.

      Delete