Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Already Gone

***So often time it happens, we all live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key.  ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"


Have you read the blogs of people who cannot, will not, don't want to, fear, procrastinate, mess around with, are defeated by, and whatever else comes to mind -  breaking the chains of overeating? How do we reach down and find it within ourselves to do this? It is there. It has to be there because eating is a choice. What we eat is a choice. How much we eat is a choice. All these choices that include exercise, drinking water, and getting enough rest are there to be made. I was considering following a blog earlier today and went there to check it out. This person was talking about a large weight gain, described all that was eaten the past weekend, told about the drinking that she had been doing, and also that she had exercised only once in the past week.  I didn't follow.


This was not a weight loss blog. It was a "like me and help me rationalize my poor choices" blog. I hope she has fun blogging because that's all the fun there will be without some major attitude shifts. I understand that it is her blog and she can blog as she pleases.  I also understand I don't have to follow - that was my choice.


So as not to be holier than thou I will tell you that I have been guilty of all these things but I wasn't presenting myself as someone who was trying to lose weight at the time.  I have done self-destructive things that I am not proud of but I was not telling others that I wanted to get to goal weight. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words.


I have read a few blogs where people are eating a lot of calories - 2,000 and more - a day and the intention is to exercise at a level that will not only burn off the extra calories but lose weight. I hope it works for them but I doubt it.  Each body is different and burns calories at different levels depending on several factors. Making it a math problem misses the point I think. This level of exercising is a perfect scenario for intuitive eating because healing muscles need protein and vitamins and minerals in order to heal. There has to be greater hunger from such exercise and since we already have trouble stopping, it would be very easy for me to justify eating too much because of the exercise. Maybe those people are better at stopping than I am and also better at keeping the compulsion under control. 


We take our height, weight, and whatever calories it takes to maintain our chosen goal weight then add the calories we burn through our chosen exercise and we weigh and measure and hope we did the math right because we wouldn't know what and how much to eat otherwise. We need our BMR, our BMI, our body temperature, and the shoe size of our maternal grandmother to get this right. (I made those last two up)


I know for many, the structure is necessary for a time. We have failed so many times that we don't trust ourselves to do the right thing. We need the boundaries set for us because we just can't do it yet. I have been there and I understand it. I hope that as we learn about real food and healthy living all this won't be necessary. Can't we just get hungry and see what's in the fridge or the cupboard?  The chains will have been broken and we will be free to eat and live within our own boundaries, boundaries that work for us, boundaries that work without chains. If only foods that support health are there, what's the problem? If there is a bowl of fruit in the kitchen in plain sight that's a good choice. If there are vegetables ready to go in the fridge and maybe some hard boiled eggs - mission accomplished.  Yesterday for supper I had a hand full of almonds, a hard boiled egg, and an orange. 


Be well.

8 comments:

  1. Your supper sounds like something I would eat and this post sounds like something I would write. And I mean those as compliments! The whole fishing for support/enabling cycle that goes on on blogs like that is both fascinating and frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to support people all I can - the ones who are serious anyway. The ones who are serious really are suffering over this. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Falling down is a part of the learning curve but a slip up should not be the excuse to go on a week long binge. We can't berate people for poor choices if they are really trying because I do understand the emotional component which can be very hard to deal with. I am still self-destructive at times but it is short-lived because I have finally gotten to the point where I can assume control again pretty quickly. I totally understand the suffering that goes on over this and my comments support those who are serious but struggling. It is pretty easy to determine who is and is not serious. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. Well said Myra. I have to admit, I follow some of those blogs and check in frequently, but it honestly keeps me on the straight and narrow. I don't want to be them and reading about their choices reaffirms that I am doing the best I can for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to know our limitations. I have read people's blogs who don't like pictures of food. I have read people's blogs who say that they cannot follow those who play around with it. Even the ones who aren't serious probably would like to lose weight but just don't want to put in the effort. We can support them as well without enabling if it doesn't drag us down. You are right - some bloggers show us what NOT to do. Take care.

      Delete
  3. My current blog isn't the only weight loss blog I've had. My first blog started at 10kg above goal, and finished 20kg above it, over the space of about a year. I think that you really have to be in the right mindset to successfully lose weight, and that mindset doesn't come easily.

    It depresses me that the average blog weight loss is zero and that only 1/6 of people will reach goal weight. That's why I have an at goal blogroll on my blog, it helps with reading blogs. Watching people struggle for months or years is draining if they aren't getting anywhere. So congrats on your weight loss, I hope you continue to have success with losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we put ourselves out there as someone who is losing weight, it adds stress I believe and that means eating for most of us. The right mindset is the biggest challenge of all. Changing from self-indulgent to being self-controlled is quite a leap. We can decide we are going to be one of the success stories. Thank you for the encouragement. I am almost in the 180's now and will post another picture at 175 - take care and continued success to you as well.

      Delete