Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, February 25, 2012

What a Waste

Sometimes I think I waste more vegetables than I eat. How about you? I got all fired up about juicing after watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (see an earlier post for the link). I bought vegetables that I usually don't buy so I could juice (kale, cilantro, ginger root, etc.). I get the rationale for juicing. It would be nearly impossible to eat as many vegetables as you drink through juicing. It has to be a power packed drink of vegetables. I don't even take the time the make smoothies. My juicer is kind of a pain to clean up afterwards too. I also have to stop halfway through the vegetables to clean out the pulp so I can finish up.

I already threw out the cucumbers I bought because they had become a science project in the refrigerator. I will check the kale and the cilantro tomorrow and it will probably be composted as well. It's over a week old. I do get salads thrown together as I buy the organic mixtures that are ready to eat. I have a Tupperware product that has vents on the side to let out the gases that cause vegetables to spoil more quickly and I have that filled with prepared carrots, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, and sometimes onions. That makes salads easy. The Tupperware mixture can also be used for steaming, then I chop up one of those veggie burgers and toss it in with a little butter and seasoning - yum. That's what I am having for supper but am waiting on a stomach growl before preparing it.

Our son who is in the Army brought home some venison from his last assignment that I mixed with hamburger and made a pot of chili with it. Duane likes spaghetti or macaroni in his chili so I added spaghetti since I wasn't planning on eating any of it. There is something about wild meat that is a turn off for me. I remember my Dad used to hunt and we would have rabbit or squirrel for supper sometimes. It wasn't too bad as I recall. He loved to fish as well and we would have blue gill, bass, or crappie at times. We lived on a farm and always had a freezer full of meat that we had grown ourselves. I remember my Mom in tears because a calf that she had saved through bottle feeding was on its way to the butcher. We had baby pigs and lambs that she would bottle feed and save when necessary for one reason or another. Those were the good old days I guess.

One funny thing is when my two brothers were out in the barn lot. Brian was in the hay mow and Bruce was in the barn yard. Brian peed on Bruce from up there so the race was on. Brian's speed was the only thing that saved his life on more than one occasion.

Take care.

12 comments:

  1. I quit the kale. To me, it is too bitter. I like cucumber, celery, carrots, grapefruit, and apples as mu favorite combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll have to buy more cucumbers to try that. It does sound good. I'll have to come right home and get it done so it won't go to waste again. Groceries are getting too expensive to waste and it's only going to get worse with gas prices what they are.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a juicer. I do try to eat lots of vegetables though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juicing certainly has many benefits. I think it is a great way to get in a tremendous amount of nutrients.

      Delete
  3. I used to let veggies go bad because I was sort of lazy about preparing them. But, NO MORE!! I have not tried juicing veggies just because I like the crunch when I eat them. I use cilantro now more than ever. I don't like it in salads, but love it mixed with veggies, soup or other dishes. I have so far never eaten game meat in MN, but, I have had it other places. It is not bad.

    Have a good week, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are better at getting them used up than I am. I get in the store and they all look so good and I buy too much is also part of my problem. I need to come straight home and prepare them or juice them I think.

      Delete
  4. saw your note.

    There are several of us from Indiana in weight loss/maintenance blog land.

    My house is full of my quilts. I quilted for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goal before I croak is to get a quilt in everyone's house in the family. We have a big family and someone is always graduating, retiring, getting married, having a baby, or some other reason to celebrate. I have trouble keeping up! I have yet to keep a quilt for myself.

      Delete
  5. That happens to me too. I intend to eat all the vegetables I buy, but I barely make it through half... The rest is indeed a science project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juicing is the answer to this problem. I just need to get it done. There was one blogger who juiced or made smoothies and then froze them individually in plastic glasses with lids on them. I thought that was a good idea. Take care. Hope your father is better.

      Delete
  6. We used to juice. Got ourselves one of those very fancy juices similar to a Champian. I think we did it for a couple of years. Then the juice made it's way up onto a high shelf and stayed there. Now I use it to make tomato puree from toms out of the garden. I made the mistake once of decided to juice a lunchtime salad. Big mistake. Did not taste nice at all. But I do have a couple of juicing books. Maybe I should think about it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be super nutritious especially the mostly vegetable ones. I say get out the book and get the juicer off the top shelf.

      Delete