Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, February 10, 2012

Thinking It To Death?

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.  ~Author Unknown (jensgyrations.blogspot.com)


This was on my sister's blog and I thought I would expand on it a bit.


How much time do we spend thinking about this weight/eating thing? Do we try to devise some new angle to losing weight? Do we spend time equating activities and calories burned with how much we can eat? Do we look at food and try to imagine a way to account for those calories? Do we balance today's poor choices by vowing to fast tomorrow?


Do we diet in our minds? Do we exercise in our minds? Have you ever heard that the road to hell is paved with good intentions?


We choose the road to hell. We choose it in reverse - by NOT doing what our minds/logic/reasoning would have us do. Doing those things is what gets us to goal (heaven) - who wants to go there anyway? It is much better to overeat/binge, lay around,  rationalize, and complain. While this is sarcastic; it's how I have behaved at times. We want to get there on our terms. We don't want boundaries, limits, and commitments; I want to do what I want, when I want, and as much as I want. 


It's also why I am losing my weight for the third time.

8 comments:

  1. This is so true. I am trying to avoid what I call the "dwelling" stage. I know what I need to do- I just wish I wanted to do the work with as much "gusto" when I was 80 pounds heavier. I am in the fake it til I feel stage right now! Thanks to you and your challenge- I am hanging in there. I am not losing- but I am not gaining! I am also peeing a lot!! :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I need to work on, because my weight and how to lose it occupy way too many of my thoughts. I was thinking the other day--the times when I have been most successful at losing weight was when I was NOT writing down every morsel and calorie. In my head, I based each meal on food groups. Maybe I was on to something! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts can so make a difference in what we do for sure. I'm trying to keep positive and just do the things I know to do every day. Staying focused!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill - I am really enjoying our challenge and getting to know you and Paul better. When you want to get those last few pounds off, you will. Peeing is good for you :-)I think some behavior changes will do the trick. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E. Jane - I agree - one of my dreams is to be able to just go about my day and naturally eating when I growl and stopping at enough. What a blessing that will be. I am working toward that. I think way too much about it. It's been a part of my life for so long - must replace it with living life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy - Thoughts are things. They have energy and power. Let's use them for our good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I've worn out my "tractor" plowing in the field of my mind!
    (And I couldn't even tell you how many times I've lost my weight.)

    I'm going to have it off by this June, doggone it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca - I want for you the same thing. You have about 3 or 4 months. It's time to get serious, stop talking about it, and do it once and for all.

    ReplyDelete