Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Space Cadet

What do you do with those little bits of time here and there throughout the day?  Are these spaces problem areas? For example, you plan to eat at noon and it is 11:30 or so and you are hungry. I used to watch the clock (which didn't seem to move) and focus on how hungry I was. There was this inner battle, this panic, over waiting another half hour to have lunch. Should I start doing something? Is there really enough time to accomplish anything? We don't want to start something and then have to stop before it's over do we?

I couldn't get my mind off of lunch. It seems so silly when not hungry and thinking about the reaction to hunger.

What can we get done in 1/2 hour? The perfect activity is some exercise. Why? The blood that is in the gut will be diverted to the legs, hips, and arms to do the activity and the hunger will go away. Many people say they are not hungry right after they exercise and that is because the blood has been diverted to the large muscle groups. As the muscles cool off and the blood leaves the large muscle groups, the hunger will show up. I have read several times that we burn calories at a faster rate for quite some time after we exercise.  I think it was about two hours.

Before getting too hungry, get active. Reading a book or sewing won't do it. Getting outside and moving around will. Many have treadmills and other exercise equipment in their homes so that would also be perfect. We tend to think that hour we worked out is our daily allotment but I say walking on the treadmill for another 15 minutes or so to stave off hunger and get your mind off of it is a great strategy.

Who knows, you might forget to eat. (I crack myself up sometimes). Be well.

12 comments:

  1. I think the key here is just to stay busy. ;-) So I definitely agree! Sometimes I can get busy enough I forget to eat and before you know it, it's dinner time. I like the exercise, just go out for a walk, before lunch. It does help, when we have nothing else going on. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - staying busy keeps our minds occupied and we aren't so aware of approaching hunger signals. When the growl does happen, it is noticeable and the true cue to eat. I have heard that "hunger is the best seasoning".

      Delete
    2. Last night I was thrown into a mix of busy activity and before I knew it, it was 10:40 at night and I hadn't had dinner. What I did have was stuff that I grazed on. A cookie, as in singular, and two small beef sticks ate on the fly. Do you know what? I wasn't physically satisfied with those choices. High processed junk leaves you feeling that way. So even though it was ate on the fly, when I got home I logged it and saw that I was still within range. I could go to bed under my limit for the day or I could listen to my cue "the growl" and make a wiser choice than junk. Knowing that I still had two hours to go until bedtime I decided to make a sensible garden salad. It was enough to turn off the I'm hungry cue and I still ended up within range for the day. Old habit would have been to freak out and eat something large, ending up way over the limit and going to bed feeling stuffed and disgusted. Did I have to eat the cookie and beef, no. Could I have pigged out an a a smorgusborg of junk that was being offered, yes. Could I have had an epic fail once I got back home, yes. Did I, no. Key for me was to slow down enough to be mindful, paying attention in the moment. Why am I rambling on sharing... dunno. Hope I haven't offended you. I just feel very happy that I haven't jumped off the cliff; if that makes sense.

      Delete
    3. You don't have to worry about offending me as long as you don't call me names or use profanity!:-) This is a teachable moment. You did exactly the right thing. Cookies are not bad. You had one and didn't go off the deep end. Behaviors like that are key to long-term success. You kept calm and in control. You didn't use it as an excuse to binge. This is what naturally thin people do. Food is food whether it's a cookie or a salad. They don't abuse either of them. Good job.

      Delete
  2. I usually see the clock 30 min before I'm supposed to eat... Then I throw myself into something at work, or blogging, or reading and forget about it for another hour. heh. Lately, I'm trying to do 300 push ups by the end of the week (Saturday)... so times like that I'm willing to get on the floor and pump out 10-20 push ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, pushups - that is above and beyond the call of duty. Not really. Good for you. I am a wimp at pushups. By getting busy your are being proactive and warding off a slip up. You go girl.

      Delete
  3. I always try to keep busy if I have to wait with eating. KEeps me occupied. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping busy is key for me as well. I notice I am so aware of every little thing in the gut. A rumble, a gurgle, or somewhat of a hollow feeling is all I need to start talking myself into eating before I should.

      Delete
  4. I've noticed too that the more active I am the less hungry I am. Sit more, and that changes. And time always goes faster doesn't it when you are doing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. Activity keeps my mind on what I am doing and not on the food. I end up eating later because I didn't think about food until my stomach growled. Take care.

      Delete
  5. I have to stay busy. We are so slow at work right now and during the day I think I'm hungry...I look up at the clock and it's 10:00am. Augh too early for lunch! So I go find something to do until lunch time. Have to stay busy!

    Keep focused

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I have this right but there is a saying that goes something like "idle hands are the devil's playground". Doing productive things goes a long way to being able to wait for true hunger.

      Delete