Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, February 18, 2012

Regrets?

Mary has this bit of inspiration in her post:

I gave up milk chocolate when I released milk fat from my food plan.That has not been easy. Some days I hate that I cannot have it. BUT PLEASE NOTE: I have never hated it an hour or a day later.Fast food restaurants are not an option for me today. Pizza has not been on my food plan for two years but I admit that when time is short I miss being able to just order pizza. For two years I have not ordered the pizza and there as never been a morning where I regretted the decision not to have pizza the night before.


I like the phrase "released milk fat from my food plan". I also like the concept of not regretting having not ordered pizza the night before.


Think of the regrets we have caused ourselves over the unwise eating we have done in the past. We regret that we didn't exercise or drink enough water. We can avoid all those regrets and instead be thankful for the victory.


As an aside - one of the best things about reading the blogs of others is that so many pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and get back at it. Even with a gain, they don't give up but sort things out and go on.  Sometimes I feel like I have ruined it all by eating unwisely so it's time to go read some blogs. It does add more time to getting to goal and we can't make a cycle out of it but I appreciate all those who do the best they can at the time. We can offer constructive criticism or make suggestions about what needs to be done but please don't ever link to someone's blog for the purpose of making public something that was done that was wrong as far as a calorie count or unwise as far as food choices go.  I try not to enable poor choices or make things seem right that are not. Calling people names or using profanity describing a fellow blogger is equally wrong. I don't need someone to point out to me another blogger's lack of accuracy. I can read a blog and if food is listed, I can tell if it is accurate or not. I can choose to comment or not. I don't want links to the blogs of people for the purpose of showing the mistakes that person made when it comes to calories and food choices. We can privately  communicate the flaws we see.


I stop following the blogs of people who don't ever seem to get it together. I can usually tell if the blogger is just wanting to make friends or get validation for poor choices. Even if that is their reason for blogging, so what? We choose who we follow and we can also choose when to stop following. We don't need to be policed and we don't need a diet sheriff. The "your humble servant" tone about just wanting what's best for the victim and safeguarding some poor soul who might eat the same way doesn't fly.  


If we can't figure out what works and doesn't work for losing weight without following another blogger, we won't ever be successful anyway. Each of us must decide how to comment in ways that encourage and support good choices and victories. We also need to provide constructive criticism and make suggestions for better choices where we see potential problems for the bloggers whose posts we read.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your view about publicly calling out other bloggers. It's not a pleasant experience, and not necessary. And I too stop following blogs that don't really "want" to move forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogger I am referring to is the same one who did this to you. It is the second time he has done this to this last person he chose to highlight and send people to for further ridicule. I thought it was over the line and some of his followers were only too happy to pile on. There was profanity and name-calling and I stopped following that blog. That's not why we do this.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate constructive criticism and suggestions and others telling me what worked for them. It's why I'm here. I have stopped following some who bring me down for whatever reason, or who give incorrect information. And some who just write the same thing over and over (that's even me, sometimes). Everyone deserves to speak his/her mind, but if it is constantly offensive, well, I can get that in real life. Can't we all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Criticism is sometimes hard to hear (or read) but if it is done tactfully it can be very helpful. We all need to rethink and review what we are doing at times. It does not have to be pointed out with name-calling and profanity and sending people through a link to further criticize someone. I don't post what I eat with a calorie count - that's just not me. But if I did, I would hope that those who read it would make helpful comments.

      Delete
  3. I don't know why, but as I read this post I found myself crying. And I'm not sure why! Regrets to do with food? Or regrets to do with life's choices with family, food, faith and failures. I just know it touched a cord as I read it. I must think about this some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears are liquid prayers Sharon. They can have a cleansing effect. Bringing things up so that they can be dealt with is necessary to heal. We can then make peace, forgive others and ourselves, and go forward. Take care.

      Delete
    2. There are so many blogs out "there" in blogland. I've only just started mine since last month. Or should I say restarted one yet again. I am glad I found your blog as well!! It's 10:30AM Australian time where I live!

      Delete