Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, February 19, 2012

GIGO

Garbage In Garbage Out  - we aren't going to take this too literally regarding eating and food but rather information and behavior.

What do we ingest mentally that manifests itself in our behavior? What do we read, hear, and see that affects what we do and how we feel about our lives?

Some people soak up information without really evaluating it or considering the source. The internet is full of sites that are written by others we do not know but if it is in print it is gospel to them. Information is distorted and taken out of context. So many Americans don't consider whether or not something is true. If it's on the TV or in the newspaper, then it is true to them. Look at how Herman Cain was destroyed on an accusation with no proof. People wanted it to be true so they believed it.

I believe that whatever goes into our minds comes out in our lives. I don't watch TV. I could live my life without it. I don't like watching people treat each other the way they do on many shows. The sitcoms that make people laugh are full of promiscuity and everyone is happy and smiling and things work out - no consequences. The violence desensitizes us. After watching so much violence it doesn't even bother us anymore. Many live their lives vicariously through celebrities and emulate their behavior. I know there are a few good shows and documentaries and such but there is so much trash I don't watch it at all.

"You deserve a break today".
"We make it your way".
"I'm thinkin' Arby's".

Here is a list of advertising slogans for many things:

http://www.nowsell.com/marketing-guide/list-of-advertising-slogans.html#Fast-food

Advertising is big money. The purpose of advertising is to persuade us to buy something we didn't know we needed until then.

Is there garbage going into your mind?


Food for Thought...

I am your constant companion.
I am your greatest asset or heaviest burden.
I will push you up to success or down to disappointment.
I am at your command.
Half the things you do might just as well be turned over to me.
For I can do them quickly, correctly, and profitably.
I am easily managed: just be firm with me.
Those who are great, I have made great.
Those who are failures, I have made failures.
I am not a machine, though I work with the precision of a machine and the intelligence of a person.
You can run me for profit, or you can run me for ruin.
Show me how you want it done. Educate me. Train me.
Lead me. Reward me.
And I will then...do it automatically.
I am your servant.
Who am I?
I am a habit.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The media has become an avenue for ruin and misinformation. Journalism is dead. A perfect example is that Obama has played 90 rounds of golf (or more) since being president. The left wing, lapdog media does not report that (unless it's a Republican). We have to find out the truth for ourselves and most don't I fear.

      Delete
  2. The media can make or break people in a heartbeat. Loved the poem, and it is well worth remembering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly cannot rely on the news to give us the true picture. It is biased and the liberals use it to their advantage. The best people don't run for office because the media would find out if they picked their noses in 7th grade and make an issue out of it. I remember Mike Pence voted against a bill that had an earmark in it for something for the troops but the larger bill was something he had to vote against. He knew the liberals would say he voted against things for the troops because it was tacked on the larger piece of legislation. I think they should vote on one thing at a time. I am glad you like the poem.

      Delete
  3. Really, really good stuff! I enjoy your blog so much Myra!

    As for my shop, it's funny that I named it Myra. That was my nickname growing up. I still get Christmas presents etc with "To Myra" on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maren for your compliments. You are a sweetie for sure.

      Delete
  4. Nice points here, Myra. I also rarely watch TV. But I do listen to public radio. Refreshing and informative. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to radio as well. While I quilt it is usually on to talk radio or some Christian station for some peaceful music.

    ReplyDelete