Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, January 8, 2012

Substitutions

Rebecca sparked a thought for a topic. As she considered resolutions and needed changes she stated that she has been substituting reading for action.

I wonder how many books I have bought on the topics of health/self-improvement/weight loss, etc. I read and underline. They give me ideas for blog topics which is helpful. I have downloaded many to my Kindle. I subscribe to magazines. It's like I think having all this stuff around (my clutter) will seep into my brain. I do the same thing with quilting projects. You should see my stash of fabric and my collection of books and my started but not completed quilts. It would take 10 lifetimes to get all this done and I keep buying more and starting more projects and taking more classes.

I make myself busy with the accessories, the supplies, the good intentions, the equipment. That is where my productivity ends to some extent. I do get things done when there is an event like a wedding or a graduation looming over me but I start 3 things for every 1 that I complete.

I substitute reading for action as well, Rebecca. I also substitute what I should be doing with something I would much rather do - that's why my house always needs work - I would much rather quilt. I take on too many responsibilities and join too many activities then I am away from home too much and then when I am home I need to be working on the quilt for my cousin's retirement then I have to leave to fix an ATM and then I get back and have to get that quilt done and I would rather do that anyway.

What am I going to do with me?

12 comments:

  1. :)

    I came for ANSWERS, girl. Not company! (Can you "read" my smile here?) Recognizing the problem is a first step. Taking the SECOND step is the next. And then repeating it. Over and over and over.

    (But then, haven't we read that SOMEwhere?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca - I guess misery loves company. Your comment made me smile as well. We are going to beat this thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way. I have every book out there and have been looking for the "one" for years. It is time to set all that aside and live. Thank you for your thought provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my blog- I am so glad you did as now I have found your blog. This is a great, thought provoking post. In the past whenever I felt like I was not in control of my eating I would search for a new diet. I would buy a bunch of books and start making lists. I think that perhaps this was my way of avoiding action and placing blame on the current diet of choice as not being a good plan rather than taking ownership myself that I was not making good choices. The truth is- I know what to do. Eat less, move more and repeat. The hard part is sticking with that formula for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Freedom - we would save a lot of money if we would do what we know to do wouldn't we? Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill - we must resign ourselves to the basics don't you think? The solution isn't "out there" somewhere in a book. It's inside of us. We spin our wheels trying to get out of it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true - the solution is inside each of us. I have taken the passive approach of too much information gathering which I always hope will light a fire under my tail to move it, move it, move it. Well acquainted with sloth and procrastination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to take action. I don't read much on diet subjects because I feel like I know enough to make things happen. I'm just a lot better when it comes to the planning part, not so much the action part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna - I, too, battle sloth and procrastination as well as gluttony. Gluttony is idolatry. We must stop it. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maren - It's easy for me to get started and go like crazy but then I tend to fizzle. Maintaining my consistency has been a problem in the past. That's why you hear me say things about our new normal so much. If it is normal for us to exercise and eat right we won't think a thing about it. If those things are outside of the norm for us, we often don't last long. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother was the extreme of this as I was growing up- explains my heightened sense of responsibility and organization, a backlash to some extent. I love the women who mean so well and take on so much, but I also love the sense of freedom that is not doing everything to such an extent that nothing gets the true attention it deserves, including ourselves. Set yourself free. I have helped many to start this process and watched it easily spread like wildfire. Freedom becomes worth all the loss of guilt and want to's and then there is no stopping a creative fire like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yellow Rose - unfortunately even if I had fewer responsibilities and obligations I still would be cluttered and quilt rather than do what I should do. I need to work on that. I think as I lose weight and feel like I look better I will want my environment to look better as well (at least hope so). Take care.

    ReplyDelete