Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Keep Peddling


Life is like riding a bicycle. You don't fall off unless you plan to stop peddling. 

 Claude Pepper


Anybody out there coasting? You know, when we work hard, get up some speed, or are going downhill and stop peddling. What happens when we stop peddling? We gradually slow down and could stop altogether if we didn't start up again.


For some reason many of us, myself included, think we deserve a break. We have exercised; we have followed our eating plan; we have been drinking water like crazy and we are just tired of it. We just can't be expected to keep on like this for crying out loud. Whenever extending the school year or the school day is mentioned there is the outcry for those poor children. It's the adults, not the children, who complain. They must have a break or something awful will happen. They deserve it. The number of paid days off is getting to be interesting to me. If the holiday falls on Sunday, then Monday is the day off. When we get that day off for Veteran's Day how many people have plans to celebrate the veterans? But we deserve that time off because if it's on the weekend we will be cheated. It wouldn't be fair. The school day in Japan is longer.The school year is longer. Guess if America is behind Japan in math and science.


We have gotten so used to "breaks" that continuity is hard to maintain. The school year is like it is because of the family farm that needed the kids home in the summer to help. Those days are long gone. We have to catch up after the summer or review and get kids peddling again.


It is a mindset. Remember when the 4 minute mile was broken? It was thought to be impossible. After it was broken for the first time, several others then broke it as well. Our "you deserve a break today" thinking can get us into trouble and put pounds back on. 


We will never be able to stop peddling or we will fall off the bike. We will never be able to eat thoughtlessly or we will fall off of our maintenance weight.  Unfortunately we will fall up our weight instead of falling down. Bummer.


Anyway, let's not stop peddling ever. We may be able to slow down some at maintenance. We never want to fall off this bike. 

13 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS and even at maintainence it seems we just keep peddling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It is so true! Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...
    I love biking- so this is the perfect mantra for me to have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla - Maintenance can be a real trick because we don't know exactly how much slower we can peddle and have to learn it through trial and error. We may have to peddle a little harder at some times than others but we must always peddle. Peddling will get us there and peddling will keep us there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill - get on that bike and peddle girl - figuratively and for real. There is always hope. The peddles on your weight loss bike and your road bike both need a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely fell off the bike but I'm back on and never getting off again! I've learned alot the past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plump Nonfiction - You did fall off your bike and hit pretty hard on the cement I would say. Luckily bikes can't go anywhere on their own so it was waiting for you to get back on (hmmm - I think I just thought up another topic :-)Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually really like the cycle of working hard then easing off and then really getting back at it again. That is the routine that works best for me. I love seasonal and celebratory breaks. It makes me proud that I have learned to be more moderate in everything I do, in spite of my crazy upbringing. But then I am one of those annoying big picture, self-motivated freaks that never stops moving, going or doing unless I can find a good reason to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yellow Rose - you are my hero :-) I think I could sit until I take root in the chair (little bit of an exaggeration). I find it hard to get back with the program if I am away from it for a time. You have evidently developed some good habits that are normal for you even when "coasting". Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I needed this post today.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maren - that's why we blog - to give and get encouragement. I am glad my post gave you a little "boost".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I should have said that whatever works for you is also good. We never want to let up for too long, after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yellow Rose - I agree. Each of us must know him- or herself and act accordingly. My emotional state is different from yours, and another's is different from both of us. Wisdom comes when we finally quite trying to be someone else and play the hand we are dealt. Be well.

    ReplyDelete