Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, January 27, 2012

Identity Crisis?

Your Identity by Mir over at Two Years to Happy Weight After has a post today that I think is very appropriate for us all.

What we do fits our self-image or we wouldn't do it. I don't tell lies because it doesn't fit my self-image. I don't steal for the same reason. When I am lazy, that is my self-image. When I overeat, that is my self-image.

She talks about  exercising and self-image. This is crucial to our success with losing weight and then maintaining our loss. If being thin doesn't fit my self-image, reaching my goal weight will be an exercise in futility. How can we change our self-image so that doesn't happen? I think we act "as if". We behave as if we were already there. How will you and I behave when we are at goal weight? Behave that way now. Will we take care of our appearance even if we are staying home all day? Will we paint our toenails in the winter? Will we exercise regularly and drink the necessary water?

We need to think long and hard about this. I have lost my weight twice. I don't intend to have to do it again. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. This is so true! Act as if. A few months ago, I started taking better care of myself: dressing nicer, wearing makeup etc I felt better about myself. Yes, I bought some nice clothes even though I KNEW I was going to go down in sizes. I decided to work on loving myself now. As a result, I think that's helped me with my success so far. I only want to get rid of this weight once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie - I believe taking care of ourselves and our appearance is a sign of our self-esteem. We can be the best version of ourselves right now. Little things like a nice pair of ear rings or a new lipstick can help so much with how we feel about ourselves. The nice clothes are an investment if they contribute to acting "as if". Be well.

    ReplyDelete