Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, January 6, 2012

Get a Life

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight.

Make a wish and blow out the birthday candles!

Throw a penny in the fountain and make a wish.

Wishful thinking.

How many of us are daydreamers? I doubt any of us would want to talk about our fantasy worlds. The fans of many celebrities have pretty much lost it; it's like they live their lives vicariously through Justin Bieber or Lady GaGa. Remember when girls would faint at a Beatles concert? Some of you weren't born yet but maybe you have seen a video of it :-) Have you ever told someone to get a life? Has someone ever told you to get a life?

What exactly does it mean to get a life? Don't we already have one? Does it mean to mind our own business - to stop being judgmental or critical of how others choose to live? Maybe it means we should concentrate on what we need to improve about ourselves rather than evaluating the life of someone else.

9 comments:

  1. The last sentence says it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have used that term, it has meant "Stop nosing into my business (or someone elses) and worry about your own stuff":)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard though. Isn't it human nature to have opinions and thoughts about others? What we do with them is a choice, but like I wrote about today, I have thoughts about my think friends that aren't always nice. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my ex's told me I did not have a very fore-filling life.. I almost choked.. me? world traveler, lived all over the place, 2 amazing kids, yada yada yada.. She spends most of her day posting on facebook about things she will never experience.

    Who is to say what a life is 'to get' or how one compares to any other. I think the most important thing is that you live a life that you are happy with.. if your not happy, change. Be the best person you can be and life your life the way you want to and not based on anyone else's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny you should post this today. I actually know a bit about getting a life and I actually SAW the effects in pictures just yesterday. I went looking for sweet pictures of my nephew and what I saw was remarkable. Pictures of me- not only fat, but frumpy not caring how I looked, wearing clothes that don't fit, looking just gross. And then in that moment in time when I made a huge philosophical change in my life regarding what I wanted my life to actually be, well it's like an ugly duckling transforming into a swan. The change is slow over a number of years but it is so real. So, to me, getting a life is not just a flippant phrase and I have to admit it was scary to me to actually SEE in pictures what always making others happy and never taking care of myself did to me. I might have thought that I was doing everyone else a favor, but I wasn't at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy/Leigh - we all need to be aware of our tendencies to judge others - even if we don't like their lifestyle, it's their lifestyle and we should chime in only if asked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maren - I would be a liar if I said I didn't do that as well. I try to catch myself and change the thought because thoughts are so powerful. Let's keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bzybee - I agree for the most part but we all have weaknesses that need work. We get very defensive if someone points out a flaw even if it is true. Sounds like your ex was just throwing some hate. The opinions we should take note of are the ones from people we respect. My grandmother was my hero and her opinion of me was so very important. She corrected out of love not out of her own desire to put someone else down. "The only people we should try to get even with are the ones who have been kind to us." Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yellow Rose - I am glad you have a life now, a life that you made. Those pictures can be a real slap in the face can't they? We have all been there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete