Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Complete Failure

There are now more obese people in the United States than there are overweight people. I think it's safe to say that after all these years, Diet Coke is a complete failure. -Jay Leno




 ***Michael Medved on why it's so popular to hate Tim Tebow. 

The NFL is generously stocked with forgiven felons, including millionaire wife beaters and dog killers. So how did a clean-living quarterback with deep commitments to charitable service and miraculous last-minute victories become the most controversial player in the league?

Swiped both of these from my sister' blog - she has some good things there today in addition to the above - why not check it out?   jensgyrations.blogspot.com

Diet Coke is a failure. I think it's another example of how we look for that "magic bullet" for weight loss. We drink fake Coke, eat fake sweets, and eat fake snacks and then rationalize all the while eating the whole package of fat free, sugar free, styrofoam concoctions. Those things do not satisfy. Eating real food in reasonable amounts - when will we ever get it?

Drinking water is life-giving, life-affirming. I may have this wrong but aren't our bodies something like 72% water? Many things are sweet and healthy - fruit  is a good dessert. Snacks? There are 100 calorie pop corn packages on the market now. Is it the amount that is our problem? If we choose the fake stuff we can eat volumes and not feel too guilty but those things don't support life. Eating volumes is the problem for so many of us. I know stopping is my biggest challenge. Working on it.

We will have taken a giant leap forward when we honor the life we have by doing what will support it rather than trying to ruin it with our poor choices. Committing suicide with food/eating as our weapon is a slow and painful way to die. Is today good enough for us to want a tomorrow that is better or do we want to be one day closer to a truly debilitating condition that will change our lives forever? Let's all consider carefully today what we put in our bodies and what we do with our bodies. It is our choice whether to affirm or destroy our health.

Let's choose life.




8 comments:

  1. I had someone ask me once if I had ever seen a skinny person drinking Diet Coke. Can't say that I have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I had on my mind today. Less processed, more natural.

    Thanks for the comment you left me about b/p meds. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally fell for the low fat thing and ate plenty of whatever low fat item I could find. I could never figure out why I was not losing weight. My mom kept saying....a calorie is a calorie - eat too many and you gain weight. I just did not want to believe her. Hate it when mom's are right!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think diet products are marketing ploys, designed to get us to use lots of them (buy them) in the hopes that we will lose weight just because we use them. I always start gaining weight when I use aspartame. Splenda is not quite so bad for me, but I do my best on water with lemon and whole foods. I try to stay with that formula the best I can, but needless to say, I am not perfect. Remember progress, not perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - so true, skinny people don't even consider the carbs, fat grams - those dingbats probably don't know how many calories are in anything! Just kidding about the natural skinnies out there - my hat is off to them. They are the ones we should be emulating, not other fat people.

    Jo - Hope the b/p meds will be a thing of the past soon - it's working for me. We must always head to more healthy options and processed foods, additives/colorings, and artificial flavorings are good places to start cutting.

    Joy - I have done the same thing fooling myself that nonfat, sugar free, and low calorie meant I could eat all I wanted.

    E. Jane - I think the whole diet industry preys on desperate people - shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like the taste of real good food. Fresh veggies and fruits. Nothing tastes like them no matter how much salt or other ingredients are added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am super grateful to be a bit hypersensitive to artificial stuff. Low cal sweeteners= instant migraine, low fat tastes like detergent. Yes, I managed to get 50 lbs. overweight while eating the real stuff, but I shudder to think what would have happened if I had liked any of the 'diet' stuff. I know I have mentioned that for me it really was an emotional eating thing. Still, I think I enjoy food even more than I ever did when I was fat. You are so good to point this out. It is so true. I even had a naturally thin friend tell me once that she accidentally bought low fat cookies once and couldn't figure out why she wanted to eat more and more of them. Creepy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michele - These foods make us feel better after we eat them not worse, not craving more. There are healthy ways to season as well. It doesn't always have to be sauces and synthetic flavorings, colorings, etc. A good, juicy peach is hard to beat - the juice running down the arms kind :-)

    Yellow Rose - Your naturally thin friend is in tune with her body. She can sense what is good for it and what is not. I was using food to cope as well. Not so much now.

    ReplyDelete