Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Behavior Blast Update/Miscellaneous

There are three of us in the Behavior Blast Challenge and all three of us are doing great and on the road to being hydrated well. PaulJill, and myself are changing the behaviors that lead to weight loss. This first week has been to drink 64 oz. of water per day, more is great, but 64 oz. is the goal and all of us have reached our goal each day. Next week we will build on this and add exercising 3 - 5 times each week to drinking the 64 oz. of water each day. The third week will be "coasting". We are going to continue with exercising 3 - 5 times that week and drinking the 64 oz. of water each day. This is to create the habit, the new normal - something we do as a part of our lives. Weight is not a part of this challenge. We feel that changing the behaviors will change our weight. Beginning with week 4 each of us will declare what behavior we will work on. Jill is going to work on tracking her food/drink intake and will report that each day. I am going to work on slowing down as I eat. I will completely chew and swallow each bite and take a drink before taking another bite. It's going to be tough. It may take me two weeks to get that behavior changed. We will continue on like that. The nice thing about this challenge is that anyone can jump in at any time. Let me know your blog address and your email address and you will be added to the spreadsheet that I email to everyone each day with the success of each of us. We aren't aiming for perfection but progress. If you want in for the next two days you will report your water intake to me and then you will be ready to start the week beginning Thursday with continuing with the water and add exercising 3 - 5 times.

On to the miscellaneous part. I have completely stopped taking my blood pressure medication. I am so tired of the side effects. The first family of meds I was prescribed (beta blockers) caused such a cough I couldn't even carry on a conversation. The second family were called calcium channel blockers and my feet and ankles swelled up. This last attempt caused me to black out and my heart would beat so hard and fast it would hurt. These episodes would last about 15 minutes. ENOUGH. I have started juicing. If you have not watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", please do so - I have a link in an earlier post. I had the smoothie for breakfast today made with the Mean Green as the base and added a banana, peeled orange, green grapes, and some protein powder. I am taking an herbal formula from our local health food store for BP. I am taking zinc and CoQ10 and drinking beetroot juice. My blood pressure is much better. I am losing weight, exercising, and drinking water.

Have you ever heard of the health benefits of apple cider vinegar? It is also good for blood pressure as well as arthritis, cholesterol, and many other things. Here is my "tonic" recipe from my cousin who takes it and reports of the improvement in her arthritis. Mix on high in a blender 1 C. apple cider vinegar, 1C. honey, and 8 cloves garlic crushed for 1 min. I buy the jar of garlic in the produce area.  1/2 tsp. = 1 clove garlic so I use 4 tsp. of that. Place this in a jar in the refrigerator for 5 days to cure and then 2 tsp. in a glass of orange juice twice a day. Straight orange juice was a little much for us so we use 1/2 c. oj and 1/2 c. water and we like it better.  You can use grape juice as well. It's not bad at all. I am using it for blood pressure and my husband is using it for his arthritis.

Take care.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are making great progress with friends. Always good to work together.

    Be careful about drinking too much water at once though. Can impact your electrolytes. Spread it out over the day which it looks like you are doing.

    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider taking a good quality B12 supplement. We use a spray product, one squirt to the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I have been juicing also. Not exclusively like a juice fast, but to replace a meal several times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele - I do spread it out. Remember that woman who died in a water drinking contest to win some kind of toy for her kids? That must have been what happened to her. Yes - doing something with friends is great. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna - what do you take the B12 for? I thought the B vitamins were in grains. I will have to do a little research. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul - I have just started juicing and really like it. It's a good meal when in a hurry. I usually have a little left over from a mix. I think 48 hours is as long as it should be kept. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is my understanding that if you follow a plant-based or vegan plan, it is a good idea to supplement the B12 you are getting in your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna - thanks for the information. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, sounds like it might be worth a try. My whole family has arthritis and I feel as though my dancers feet are starting to give me signs that it might be coming my way as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yellow Rose - My husband feels like it is helping already and my cousin swears by it. Hope it helps you as well! Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are doing well then, so glad! I've been better at drinking my water too, so I'm supporting you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maren - you'll have to join us. Starting tomorrow (Thursday) it's drinking the 64 oz. of water and exercising 3 - 5 times per week. Just let me know. Take care.

    ReplyDelete