Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, October 21, 2011

You Are Beautiful

I was reading oh_mg over at asmallloss.blogspot.com and she had a quote from another blog - bendoeslife.tumblr.com - "The last pounds are the hardest because they matter the least." I have been thinking about that ever since. It was sort of a light bulb moment. When we are almost there, the struggle intensifies for many of us. It is also hard to stay there when we look good and can afford to put some pounds back on because compared to what we used to look like this is wonderful. Someone who needs to lose 150 pounds, for example, has achieved something really great after losing 100 pounds. I know people started telling me I should stop losing when I still had 25 pounds to go when I was in Weight Watchers.

Several of the struggling people I follow have lost a significant amount of weight and are now bingeing and feeling terrible about it. Some are threatened by reaching some number that means something to them like the lowest they have weighed in a long time or being in onederland. Some are frustrated by a plateau or losing very slowly or seemingly not at all. I have noticed some "recreational" dieters who diet when they are in the mood or when they aren't on a vacation or a business trip or when the wind is out of north - the effort comes and goes. That is an easy habit to create if we aren't careful.

People who would never cheat on their spouse cheat on themselves - me included. We need to finish what we started and take as many people as we can with us. This might mean some stronger words but we should appreciate those who are willing to say what we need to hear. In some cases support and encouragement are most helpful.

I went to Jazzercise tonight. It is really fun and I recommend it if you have a class in your area. There is a web site if you need to get that information. I got in my 8 glasses of water. Since I am not being careful to journal my food intake is mostly from memory - raisin bran muffin, protein food bar, apple, banana with a little pnb on each bite, almonds, 2 bites of chicken, 1 small vanilla cone. I ran the 300 mile route today so most eating was done while driving so I have to do convenient things on those days.

Duane is doing well. He can get his brace on and off now quite well. The doctor gave him stronger pain pills and that has helped. I have to do everything now as he cannot bend or lift. I have to carry in the wood, take care of the puppies, deal with the trash, do all laundry - bummer. This winter should be interesting if we get a lot of snow here in Indiana. I will have to do the shoveling. There will be lots of good exercise I guess. The emergency room bill was $1,003, the brace was $450, the MRI was $2,500 and there are more bills on the way. No medical insurance - that's why we did not get the $20,000 kyphoplasty injection - we had to go with the brace for 3 months until the fracture heals. We will survive.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just here checking out your blog, and I have to say I like it. :) I'll be coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very powerful statement:
    People who would never cheat on their spouse cheat on themselves.

    Never really thought about it that way, but you are right. I will keep this in mind and as continue to move forward.

    I am glad your husband is doing better. Yes, it will be a lot on your shoulders this winter. You are both in my thoughts. No one in this country should be in the predicament you are to have no health insurance.

    ReplyDelete