Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, October 24, 2011

How Much Exercising is Enough?

My son was here for a visit on Saturday and he mentioned that he needed to get back to exercising and losing his weight (this will be the third time - he is his mother's son). He has a bad knee and he said the extra weight was causing it to throb at times. He also said that he has lost all his flexibility. I agreed with him and mentioned that the extra weight just gets in the way. Things like tying our shoes or getting in a tight spot to fix something are two examples I can think of.

It seems some of the people out there trying to lose weight cutting calories and exercising like there's no tomorrow have trouble staying on plan. Isaac (my son) was working with a personal trainer the last time and commented how hungry he was. I can remember exercising like that and then really having trouble bingeing (I know this should be spelled binging but it just doesn't look right - what do you think?) because I truly was HUNGRY. The muscles were healing and I couldn't stand it. I remember once I just considered not exercising until the weight was off. I do think there is a happy medium. I know Weight Watchers allows extra activity points for exercising so that should tell us something. It is just logical that intense exercise not only burns calories at a faster rate than we otherwise would burn them and muscles are also healing and that requires some energy as well. If you just want to burn some extra calories without building muscle, walking is the best I have read. We think burning all those extra calories with intense exercise will help us lose weight faster but what good is that if we can't stay on our eating plan?

Is this a problem for you? How do you handle it?

7 comments:

  1. I always eat more the days I exercise, because my body needs more fuel those days. I don't eat all the calories that I've burnt off, but enough to feel satisfied. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to stay within 1200-1600 cals a day. When I exercise hard I need closer to 1600. If I go on a long ride, say over 15 miles, I take along an energy bar. I have a hard time staying under 1500 and cycling every day. I can only get under 1500 if I exercise in the morning because I consume a lot of cals in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought provoking post! Exercising definitely uses up more fuel than not exercising, but it always seems to come back to "listen your body", doesn't it? Do we feel good after we work out, or do we feel exhausted? Do we feel truly hungry for some extra, healthy fuel or do we feel like we have "earned" or now "deserve" some snacks, etc.?

    For me personally, exercise is part of trying to make a lifestyle change. In a way, eating good or bad is still eating. Working out makes me feel more active and energetic, and that's a big part of telling myself that my goal is health, not a number on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too. Exercise DOES make me hungry. I have been content being the same me and just cutting the carbs...Now I want to try to get the areas that will be of concern to firm up a bit as they hold on to that vacant fat filled area..(such a small area at present).

    Endorphin production legally...that is what exercise is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, new follower here. Liked this post. I did the Breast Cancer 3Day in 2006. I could not train unless I upped my food intake, I just didn't have the energy if I didn't . So my take is, if you're going all out with the exercise, you have to play with your intake until you reach the right combination of food v exercise to continue to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to not eat for an hour or two after exercise. I realised that I had trained my brain to be hungry after exercise because I went for a 3 minute run one day (just starting off) and was hungry when I finished.

    I used to think that exercise made you hungry, now I don't believe that any more. As for how much exercise is enough, tough question. I guess it depends on how fast you want to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still working on that. When I go to the gym I use up anywhere from 800-1000 calories and I go three times a week some time more but for sure three (until this past couple of weeks but that's different). I have to add about 300 extra calories to my daily intake those days or I feel like crap. Usually a banana and sugar free instant breakfast with 1/2 scoop whey protien. It works for me and once I heal and get over this down feeling I'll get back to where I need to be.
    Take care Myra. Have a blessed night sleep!

    ReplyDelete