Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, October 28, 2011

Deprived - Really?

The medical dictionary defines deprived as "to take something away from and especially something that is usually considered essential for medical or physical well-being".

I have read on some blogs that the blogger added something to the eating plan such as chocolate so he/she wouldn't feel deprived. Others have blogged that being deprived of some special "thing" is what set them off into a binge. They will say that depriving themselves of desserts is dangerous to their sanity. Really? We play such games with ourselves and we really believe we are safeguarding our weight loss efforts through not depriving ourselves of anything. It's a strategy for weight loss. Hmmmmm.

 Like an alcoholic, one drink is too many and a thousand is not enough.

Does a heroin addict use this methodology? Of course, we can then whip out our slogan about "well, it's harder for an overeater because we have to eat something, a heroin addict can leave heroin completely alone". Same for smoking, a smoker can completely leave tobacco alone. Do we really want to use that argument? This argument makes a case for eating too much. It's just really a matter of where we stop. Do we stop before the first cookie or after they are gone? Is that deprivation? The heroin addict has to stop before the first hit; the alcoholic has to stop before the first drink. The smoker has to stop before the first cigarette. Is that deprivation?

Is this another lie that we want to believe? We can open a bag of cookies, eat one, and put the bag away so we won't be deprived. You are stronger than I am if you can do that. I have believed that lie in the past but if I  had been able to really understand what was happening I would have known that I really wanted all those cookies but needed to feel OK about getting started.

We have to be especially diligent through the eating season that begins with halloween. I think people really do believe that not "depriving" themselves is a good strategy. It's our mindset. I like something sweet after a meal. Now it can be fruit, fiber one yogurt, a couple graham crackers, there are many sugar free products on the market now, some of the Atkins products are nice and sweet. Let's think things through before we fall into the "deprivation" and "poor me" thinking that never fails to get us into trouble.

5 comments:

  1. I think you're making a good point, but I do think it's important that we actually have to eat. I don't add things to my diet because I don't want to be deprived, but because they are items that I want to eat. Some for nutrients, some for vitamins, some for this and that, and some for the enjoyment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies = drugs. For me. A good cup of decaf, a medifast brownie ( gluten free and does not trigger anything for me. Those non trigger habits = sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long road and I'm sure it's even longer still. Interesting thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some excellent points.

    I think it is important to build in foods that you like during this journey. I do. Like on Halloween, I am budgeting 200 cals for two small candy bars. When I travel to CA I enjoy an IN and OUt Burger at 400 cals. Again, I budget it in to my daily cal and bam I had something I enjoy and do not feel deproved. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been telling myself this for years... it helps to read some else saying the same thing. Today was a bad day for me. I eat so much. :(

    I shared a link to your blog on my blog post (hope you don't mind) but it sure did hit the nail on the head for me today and I wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete