Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Today Went Like This

I growled about 8 a.m. this morning while I was driving and ate my food bar which was about 200 calories. I did not growl again until about 2:30 at which time I had a grilled hamburger on two pieces of Ezekiel bread (made from sprouted grains and no wheat), 2 hard boiled eggs, some cottage cheese, slice of cheese on the burger with onions, tomato, relish, ketchup. I also had a small slice of green tomato pie with some low fat ice cream. This will be all that I eat today as I am sure I will not growl again until tomorrow. I am getting ready to go to Jazzercise.

I figure my total calories are well within weight loss range but I also remember a study I once read about. A control group of rats was given a set number of calories which were spread out over the day and the experimental group was given their calories all at once. The experimental group gained weight, the others did not and the conclusion was that the body can only handle so many calories at once. Too much at once and it will store some of it.

Yesterday when I growled in the afternoon, I finished off two large pieces of leftover pizza - the equivalent of 1/4 of a large pizza. That was all I had in addition to the food bar. I have been getting in the water and the only other calories both days would be coffee creamer.

Sunday's weigh-in will tell the story. If I get bad news I will work on portion control. Waiting until the growl means I am really, really hungry when I eat so I will have to work on my head as well. I am determined to eat this way. I know I can learn to stop sooner if that's what is necessary.

What do you think? Am I overeating?

3 comments:

  1. At the clinic that I go to, they say that our metabolisms are like fires - you don't start putting wood on the fire when the fire is almost out, you keep stoking it - and that keeps the fire burning efficiently. The same is for our metabolisms. They say (it's a doctor's clinic) that even with not eating during our nighttime's fast, our metabolisms go down by 40% overnight - so fuelling the "fire" in the am and throughout the day is very, very important.
    Also, it's easier to keep control when you are stoking the fire more often - you don't get to the point where you are eating with your eyes instead of your brain.
    Hope that helps!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for the growl is pretty interesting and I really admire how you're going about it in listening to your body and paying attention to how it reacts, etc.

    As far as overeating... it is true that your stomach doesn't really get the "signal" it's full until 20ish or so minutes after it's ingested food. I'm not sure how that might be applicable to the growl system, but maybe a little something to think about.

    Thank you very much for the support you've left me recently. I think you're very right that when we help others, we also help ourselves. Gotta commit, gotta work at it, and most of all, gotta find our own path to health and happiness... but it's pretty great to cheer each other on while we do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm as curious as you are on how it turns out. Good luck with this adventure.
    Take care Myra and have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete