Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, September 9, 2011

Same old, same old

We bought a German Shepherd puppy tonight. Her name is Belle and she is 6 weeks old. We need another guard dog since the racoons ate all my peaches and there was someone on our porch the other morning trying to determine if the house was empty.

I am finishing up Geneen Roth's book. She ends with "The Eating Guidelines" or if the reader prefers, "The if love could speak instructions".


Here they are:

1. Eat when you are hungry.
2.  Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
3.  Eat without distractions (radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations or music.
4.  Eat what your body wants.
5.  Eat until you are satisfied.
6.  Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
7.  Eat with enjoyment, gusto, and pleasure.

I wonder if these are too vague.

1. Head hunger, mouth hunger, and thirst can all be confused with being truly in need of food. This is why waiting for the growl is so reliable. We are either growling or we are not. It is not up to interpretation.
2.  I can do this on the weekends for the most part and in the evenings through the week. When driving the armored truck or on a service call not so much.
3. The television is often on during a meal. We often do not eat together as our schedules and habits are so different. This one would be a challenge.
4. I can do this. My problem is that I wait until I am very hungry and then open the refrigerator and see what's quick - I have to work on this one.
5.  Stopping is my biggest problem - for me a little food on a saucer and eating all of it works best for me. If I am waiting on a growl I will just growl sooner when it's time to eat again. My most difficult time is between the empty feeling and the growl. Staying busy helps with this.
6.  Often I am by myself and eat alone. I can see where this one would be helpful. Overeating is done privately - sometimes in public if everyone else is pigging out too and we can just "blend in". It is usually done in private though.
7. We overeaters tend NOT to enjoy our food because we are eating so fast. Remember that the stomach cannot taste and we need to enjoy the food in our mouth where we can taste and enjoy it. Once it is swallowed we have to take another bite (rather quickly I might add) in order to experience the enjoyment again.

These are all things we all need to consider and work on the ones that are feasible. There is probably too much leeway for many of us. We all have some behaviors we need to change. I know I could make a list of about 10 things pretty quickly and many of them have not been given the attention that I should  be giving them because I rebel against the structure that is necessary to be successful at this but until there is a better way this is my lot in life. It's being aware of what I really, really want.

2 comments:

  1. Great reminders. # 4 applied to me last night. I "wanted" a good hamburger. My husband even offered to go get me one at the local cafe. I said, "No, I'll find something and ended up eating a left-over hotdog from Labor Day.

    I should of had a hamburger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...NOT enjoy our food when binging...it is just a feed the face mechanism and then think there has to be something better to eat. At least that is why I continue to another thing. Not only did the last thing not do the job maybe the next thing is better.

    ReplyDelete