Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, August 31, 2011

To Learn or not to Learn that is the Question

***We've all heard that we have to learn from our mistakes,
but I think it's more important to learn from successes.
If you learn only from your mistakes, you are inclined to learn only errors. Norman Vincent Peale

This was on my sister's blog and I really liked the message.  www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com
I think I know pretty much all there is to know about making mistakes, how about you? I can't think of any new mistakes I can make while trying to lose weight; I think I've pretty much covered them all. I have even learned from the mistakes of others. I've even made the same ones over and over. Did I not learn the first time and needed to repeat the mistake? We really don't need to make them all ourselves although I probably have. When someone blogs about mistakes, many comment on how to learn from it or that they are learning experiences - I've done it myself.

So when someone is successful do we tell them it is a learning experience? Do we caution them to learn from this? Why is it more difficult to repeat successes than it is to repeat mistakes? We need to work on that.

I am working in Cincinnati again this week so haven't been blogging as much. It's all good. I have begun Christmas shopping. I bought a Kindle for son #2 and a couple of books for my husband and some shoes for myself.

Here's a little epiphany moment I had today. I usually eat a protein bar on the 1 1/2 hour drive to Cincinnati and take my pills. This is at about 5:30 - 6:00 a.m. I have been taking an apple and some peanuts to eat about 10 a.m. and then I leave a PBJ sandwich in the car to eat on the way home. This is done so I won't eat it at 10:30 a.m. (you know how it goes). TODAY I FORGOT MY PEANUTS!!! I had this momentary stab of panic when I realized that all I had to eat was that apple. I pretty quickly realized how completely dumb that was. I wonder how many fast food places, convenience stores, and vending machine areas we pass as we drive all over Cincinnati? Answer: dozens.

Hope everyone is getting geared up for the next challenge - whichever one you have chosen. Oh, and let's learn to repeat our successes and not our mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, you sure get around. I had no idea you were still working. I thought you'd retired! Did I mix you up with someone else??

    Your experience with having enough food was a humorous, yet powerful, eye-opener. How often do we blind ourselves, or decide we're unable to see what is perfectly clear? Silly us.

    Thanks for the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had those "oh no" moments also! I do keep a little baggie of almonds in my purse as well as some protein bars - for when I need something to eat but can't buy something (I can't eat gluten) ... the almonds really help.
    Good post, Myra!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete