Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, August 19, 2011

Feedback

Many people are struggling right now. I have read the blogs of many who are struggling and scared. After being successful for a time for some reason we just can't seem to find what we had; can't rekindle that drive and determination; don't care like we did.

It keeps us humble doesn't it? When we are on top of our game we are full of advice and even a little condescending toward those who just can't seem to get it together. Now it's us and we feel sheepish that we now find it difficult to regain our traction. It is what it is. I have noticed that weight loss bloggers are very understanding. They know struggle. They know everyone struggles. Every day.

There is no physical explanation for these problems. We could probably dream some up. After going great guns what happened?

The feedback at the beginning was great. The pounds were coming off; others were supporting and encouraging us because of the weight losses, clothes were looser, all great stuff. Then things slowed down a bit, then a bit more. It's really not all that exciting to consistently lose just a bit each week especially considering what we had to do, what we had to forgo, what we had to endure to lose that little bit. The feedback just isn't happening. Is it worth it?

This is why permanent behavior changes are so important. I have used my Mom as an example many times. She has always maintained a healthy weight (will be 85 on Monday). She doesn't eat after 6 p.m. It doesn't matter if she is angry, or hurt, or lonely - she doesn't eat after 6 p.m. At Weigh Down Workshop behavior changes are the foundation of the whole thing. You are to wait for a stomach growl, eat what you want, stop when comfortable eating small bites slowly, then wait for the next growl. These are all behavior changes. They are behavior changes from hell if you will excuse my French. I can't do all of it. I am working on it. I can wait for the growl most of the time. Eating what I want is no problem at all :-) Stopping is my biggest problem. I would rather use a saucer and put small amounts on it but eat all of it. Leaving food on my plate is something that is very, very, very, very difficult for me. I need to start out just leaving the tiniest bit and then check to make sure I didn't die or anything awful like that.

Unmet needs are at the root of our problems too.

Whether it is being perfect enough to deserve being loved or whether it is being perfect to just feel good about ourselves—human perfection will never be enough. Get your heart to hear that you don’t have to glory in the perfection of your humanity.

For me, the problem is spiritual. Our emotional state cannot be explained through blood/tissue/muscle - there is a part of us that cannot be explained this way. Don't confuse this with religion. What is spirit? Why is liquor sometimes referred to as spirits? We talk about school spirit, team spirit, etc. What about our spirit? 

I am content with losing slowly. Others are not. I am working on behavior changes and my spiritual condition. I am practicing the presence of God. I know that my body will catch up if I get the behaviors mastered and get my spiritual house in order. I still have to be aware of food value. I still have to realize the importance of water. Healthy starts out with heal. We can follow a food plan that heals, a lifestyle that heals, and a spiritual life that heals. There's a three-legged stool for us. If all three legs are strong, the stool is strong and will stand on its own.

7 comments:

  1. I must have missed your post about your new work drive/schedule. I hope you take care of yourself. That sounds brutal.

    In this blog entry, you sound quite centered, as though you've been thinking about this for some time and finally reached a conclusion. I always like to read what you write. There's always something to take away. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, yup, yup. I so 100% agree with you!! When we become "obsessed" with "losing weight," we are just using it as some other addiction to fill holes in our life. We work and work and work and then ask, "NOW WHAT???" I believe it's a spiritual problem, too. That's why I am also focusing on OTHER THINGS - giving, gratitude, God, life goals. Great post, great blog, I must follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely am in agreement about the problem having a strong spiritual component--most human behavior does, and especially behavior that can be categorized and destructive or "vice". And losing slowly is never wrong. We are all learning along the way. Some of the most interesting, introspective, illuminaated "losers" have lost with difficulty, setbacks, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes NOT AT ALL for a while, but it's always fertile for them, they learn. They discover. They grow.

    I think if we learn what we need to overcome...to find the strength we need...it helps in more areas than just food/weight.

    God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is why It has to be all about an internal drive. You have to know your reasons. And I agree with JW...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A spiritual problem..... I completely agree. Thanks for this post. Looking forward to reading all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myra, my friend...
    I came over hoping to find motivation and was NOT disappointed. Something triggered in me yesterday. And I am ready. It's different than "trying". I was waiting for this. (SHOULD have been trying anyway.) This "happened" to me a couple of years ago, and I was successful. I'm not going to dwell on what happened in between now and then. (I DO know. Just don't want to dilute my fresh found motivation by looking back.)

    That 3-legged stool imagery is so true! Be strong & carry on. Hope you are back to a saner schedule soon.

    ReplyDelete