Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, August 5, 2011

Fear of Failure?

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
~ Unknown


How many times have we let the fear of failure keep us from even trying? Trying out for the team or for cheerleading in our younger days would be good examples. Why are we afraid to fail?

“We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb.” Thomas Alva Edison


What if he had stopped after a failure or two? That's how long it took to be successful. Even as we fail occasionally it is part of the learning how to be successful. When a light bulb experiment failed to produce desired results I am sure Edison evaluated the situation and changed something to be ready to try another procedure.


When we fail at losing weight do we make a production out of it? Or do we make some behavior changes that will make the next attempt more likely to succeed? I am not one to report what I eat, when I slip up, or how I feel today as a rule.  I am a more "get on with it" type. I read the blogs of people who really benefit from these things that I don't do. I enjoy reading their blogs and since I think everyone has a right to my opinion, I comment quite often. I think behavior changes are more important - things like no second helpings, waiting for a stomach growl to eat, don't eat after supper, drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, eat on a small plate, exercise 3 - 5 times a week, always sit down at the table to eat. I do pretty well on everything but the sitting down at the table to eat.


Have you ever seen the light bulb above a person's head in a cartoon with that person's thoughts inside of it? Have you had any light bulb moments lately? What are they?


What would you attempt if you knew you would not fail? I think we are past the "attempt" stage of dieting. Our lives revolve around it for crying out loud. What would you attempt if you were not afraid to fail?

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post, thank you. I think that I still fear failure in this weight loss. I haven't talked to too many family-friends here about it because I feel like they will roll their eyes and think, "again, huh?". That's probably not how they would actually react, but I still feel like I shouldn't tell them in case I fail and then I look like a jackass (again), because we've all been down this road before. I am so thankful for this online community as it is helping me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete