Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, August 6, 2011

Be a Champion

"Champions are willing to do the things they dislike to create something they do like. Don't let the things that matter most be at the mercy of the things that matter least."
~ Dexter Yager  ( see www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com)

What are we doing that we dislike in order to create something we like?

Does anyone enjoy any of these things?


Sore muscles
Hunger
Sweating profusely (remember that's our fat crying)
Watching others eat/drink things we want to have
Getting up early to exercise
Staying up late to exercise
Planning meals
Writing everything that passes our lips down on paper
Weighing
Regretting our failures


We could probably turn all of these things into things that are enjoyable if we have our goals firmly in sight and understand that these are the price to be paid to get where we want to be.


What matters least that we let keep us from reaching our goals?


Tired
Busy
Stress
Loneliness
Anger
Feeling hungry


Why have we let these experiences get in the way? If we have a plan and are prepared, should it really matter that we are angry with someone? Can anger be dealt with separately from eating? Would it be better to have a discussion about what is angering us or eating something? Will eating get rid of the anger? Even if we don't feel like anything will be accomplished we will have said what needs to be said and there will be release. If we are lonely, should we make a phone call, get in a class, go to the gym, or should we eat something?

We need to get this eating thing in proper perspective. As I sit here at the keyboard I feel somewhat empty. Before step aerobics this morning I ate a banana. After I got home and before doing by ATM route I had a protein bar. After my route, I had a small amount of cottage cheese with three slices of peaches and a little of the juice. That was about two hours ago. I have been doing pretty well with waiting for my stomach to growl before eating. This is really how I would like to eat for the rest of my life. Just wait for the growl, then eat what I want and what sounds good. It's not as easy as it might sound because hunger doesn't always come around when we would like for it to. 


I am not a schedule type of person. The time change doesn't really bother me because it doesn't mess with my routine because I don't really have one. Did you notice above that I wrote "just" wait for the growl.  "Just" doesn't really capture the effort that is necessary at times. I want to eat so I am all cued up for a growl and am really ready to interpret just about any body noise as a growl. OK - back to getting eating/food in the right perspective. Allan says first it is food, then it is poop. I will growl but I don't know when - that's the maddening part. There can be no schedule with this method because of the uncertainty of the growl. If you visit www.weighdown.com you can read up a little on this. We can, to some extent, be growling for some event but only the strong survive. It may be necessary to bypass a growl (horrors) so it can be used for the event that is maybe an hour or two away. Wow, we can't tear out hunks of carpet getting to the kitchen because the growl happened. It is true that the growl goes away and will return later. It is also true that just a bite or two of something will allay the hunger a bit (I don't know if I have ever done that before - a bite or two when my stomach is growling?)


OK - I have to go - my stomach just growled.
 

3 comments:

  1. "Sweat is our fat crying." I LIKE that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on schedules either so I know all too well what you mean. But I can tell you that taking a bite or two from something can postpone my hunger. For me it always has to be some type of protein though... if I try to have a bite or two of fruit while I'm hungry then it tends to just make me even hungrier and sometimes when it happens I only have time for a few bites. That and of course drinking water...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i just laughed when you put what jen also commented about "seat is our fat crying" you're a fabulous writer! i can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete