Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, August 13, 2011

Banana Bread w/Splenda

I bought a big bag of Splenda quite a while ago and had not tried it until today. I tried it with my very excellent Banana Bread recipe. Here is the original recipe:

2 C. sifted flour (I never sift, do you?)
1 tsp. soda
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter (I melt a stick in the microwave)
1 c. nuts
1 c. sugar
2 eggs (I use eggs from free range chickens)
1 tsp. vanilla (I use the cap from the vodka to measure - I am assuming you got my vanilla extract recipe)
3 large or 4 small mashed bananas - bananas should be very ripe. It is hard for bananas to reach that stage around here because I don't think bananas are ready to eat until they have brown spots on them. They have to be in pretty bad shape before I won't eat them but I do have my limits and I happened to have some for this recipe.

I put the bananas and the eggs in first and use the potato masher on them. I add all the rest. Don't overmix - just get it all stirred well. I substituted whole wheat flour for the white flour and 1 c. of Splenda for the sugar. I noticed the batter was quite a bit drier but that was due to the whole wheat flour. I have heard that you can substitute applesauce for up to 1/2 of the fat which I may try next time. I'll have to get some applesauce though. I have been known to add raisins and cinnamon but did not today. This recipe usually takes an hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees but I noticed on the Splenda bag that things bake more quickly and boy do they ever! This was done 30 minutes sooner so watch it if you try this.

The loaf did not rise quite as high but wasn't too bad. The whole wheat flour made the batter heavier. I tasted it plain and it was good! It reminded me a little of corn bread consistency but was good. I tried butter on a couple of the next bites - also good. I tried peanut butter on the last couple of bites and that was good as well. I am going to cut the loaf into slices and freeze them individually first in saran wrap and then in a bread wrapper. These would make a good breakfast and the carbs and calories have been cut quite a bit! The Splenda and the whole wheat flour will not do such a job on the insulin levels so this was a thumbs up.

Just a couple other tips. Are you ever bothered with gnats? I clean so many veggies and have tomatoes and bananas around so gnats find their way in. I set out a small glass with apple cider vinegar in it and wrap one of those sticky fly tapes around it - no more gnats! Be careful with that fly tape - that's the stickiest stuff I have ever worked with.

I have always been bothered with that green inside of hard boiled eggs. A friend told me to get those eggs cooled down as quickly as possible to avoid that. Use ice cubes and cold water. Since I use fresh eggs there is the problem with tearing up the egg trying to get the shell off. Older eggs are not as likely to do this so you might want to set a dozen back to sit for a while if you want to hard boil them. One of the gals in my quilting group said that after they are boiled and you are cooling them, shake the pan back and forth so the eggs bang up against each other and the sides of the pan cracking them. This lets in some water and will help get the shell away from the egg without tearing it up so much.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. Those are some great tips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnats--ugh. They seem to be related to bananas around here. Other fruits seem not to carry or attract them. That's a good tip for people who are inundated with them. Easy and cheap.

    Yes, applesauce can substitute for fat in many recipes, but I wouldn't count on it for a whole wheat loaf. Still, it's worth trying if you like to experiment. It certainly won't hurt, and it'll taste great. Good luck, and let us know how it went, pretty please?

    The green ring generally means that they've been overcooked. Most people do that, through no fault of their own. It also makes the white more "rubbery." (Is that a word?)

    One way to cook them is to start them in cold water. Make sure there's vinegar or a good amount of regular table salt in the water. Bring to a boil on medium heat. As soon as the water boils, remove from heat and let sit for around 15 minutes. Then put them under running cold water, or into ice water, as your friend suggested.

    Yes, fresh eggs are awful to peel. The only suggestions I have sometimes worked and sometimes not.

    You know where the air bubble is on top of the egg? Tap that on something like wood, not granite or tile. Roll the egg around until the shell is covered in small cracks. From the air bubble top, start peeling. You might even be able to pull off strips. Good luck again.

    ReplyDelete